42. Piece By Piece

— HARPER'S POV —

I toss my phone on the couch beside me.
I pause before picking it up again.
Still nothing.
I let out a sharp sigh.
I toss the phone back down and curl up in a ball.
I stare at the empty wall in front of me, I don't know what to do anymore.
My house isn't a home. There are tons of tiny feet scrambling around arguing over toys, there isn't a constant "Mommy I'm hungry" coming from another room, and mostly there's no midnight cuddles when someone has a nightmare.
My phone beeps. I pick it up.

"Let's meet for lunch. 1pm.. Charley's Cafe. 152 Main Street. I have something I need to discuss as well." -Chris

A wave of panic washed through my mind. All these questions rattle my mind.
I glance at the time, 10:24, and realize I still have few hours before we're meeting.

I don't know what's going to happen. But, I guess I'll see.

— CHRIS POV —

As I walk out of the office I breath a huge sigh of relief. I'm not the Dad. I text Harper back and then call Kristen.

"Hey babe! I had the ultrasound. Little Miss Haylee Wythe is looking great!

"Kristen, I got the results from the retest."

"Baby, I told you. You are the father. Also, why the hell would you get retested?"

"The why do the results say otherwise? Since the first test results got messed with somehow, I went and got tested again. According to the test there's a 99% chance that my DNA won't match with the babies. I'm sorry to say that I'm not sorry. But just tell me this. Why lie?"

"The results are wrong. You're the daddy. You're my baby daddy. This child is yours." I can hear the panic in her voice grow

"Kristen, I don't know what you're trying to prove. I want to be there for you and this child, even if it's not mine. I loved you...."

"I love you babe." She cuts in

"You didn't let me finish, I loved you before you lied to me. I loved you before you cheated on me and got pregnant. There's an E-D at the end of love. I'm done have a nice life."

"Babe.... I can explain all of this. Let's meet for lunch. I promise there's an explanation.... I never meant this to happen" she cries out and I end the call.

Moments like these make me miss Harper. I miss her simplicity, I miss her so much. But I screwed my chances up and I know that she's happy with someone. I just wish that someone were me.

— a few hours later —

I sit by the window waiting on Harper to get here. I'm nervous, I'm scared, and honestly clueless why I wanted to meet up with her.

"Hey, Chris." I look up from my phone to see Harper standing next to the table.

"Hey," I pause, admiring the way she looks "Have a seat" I motion to the seat across from me. "Order whatever you like, it's on me."

"I can't pay for my own food. This isn't a date." She spits back

"Look, Harper. I'm sorry and trust me when I say that I actually do mean it. I want you to get custody over the kids. Not full, I'll still get every-other weekend and major holiday. I already have my lawyer rewriting the agreement before court approval. I don't see the kids as much as I should, I'm a shitty dad, they spend more time with my mom then with me."

She stares at me with disbelief

"You mean, you mean I get to see my babies?"

"Yes. They'll move back home with you."

"Thank you"

"Look, don't thank me. Hell, you should thank Kristen for all this. If it weren't for me realizing that mistakes can be made and that it doesn't matter what the parents may think of each other the kids didn't decide to be pulled away and I have no right to hold them from you. I'm sorry for the pain I caused you. I didn't mean it"

"I...I....I.....I'm honestly shocked. I didn't think you would ever do this. I mean I had hoped and prayed. But, hearing you say it is another story. I know that you'll be an amazing father to your new baby."

I pause.

"Actually, it's not my child. I don't know what is going on with this situation but I'm talking to Kristen when I get home tonight."

"Oh, Chris. I am so sorry."

I can't help but get lost in her eyes. They always got me, it's like a never ending universe that I could get lost in.

"It's okay, my priority is our children. I want in their life and I don't want you to hate me. I know that things have been rough between us. I'm sorry. But, life is short and I miss you."

"Chris, thank you for fixing the custody agreement. But, I don't know how many more times my heart can break and besides, I'm happy where I am now. I need to focus on putting myself back together. I need you to respect that."

I watch her get up and walk out the door. A sight I am way to familiar with. I pay and walk to my car. I scream. I curse. I hit the steering wheel. I can't let her get away, I need to show her that I am here for good. I need to win her back.