41. Say Something

**CHRIS POV**

I glance at my watch, the doctor should have called by now.

"Something's wrong, something's definitely wrong or they would have called me." I speak to myself.

The day that Harper was supposed to take the kids, I didn't let her. Not because I was trying to be an as$hole to her, but because my mom was watching the kids and I was at the doctor having tests ran.

I keep pacing my office staring at my cellphone, waiting, hoping, praying I hear good news.

It starts ringing

I freeze.
I want to answer.
I don't want to hear the news.
I hesitantly pick up and answer my phone

"Hello."

"Hi, is this Christopher James Goldman?"

"This is him."

"Mr. Goldman, this is Dr. Cindy McCloud from Lakeshore Regional Hospital. I was wondering the earliest you could come in."

"Why do I need to come in?"

"Umm...." she pauses "There's some things that need to be discussed."

" What needs to be discussed?"

"Mr. Goldman, I'm sorry you'll need to come in."

"TELL ME!" I shout "Or else I'll sue you and that hospital for everything you've got."

"Mr. Goldman, please calm down. This is an urgent matter and I can't reveal it over the phone."

"Fine, I'll be there in 20 minutes."

I slam my laptop shut and tears well up in my eyes. Being told to come in to a doctors office is never a good thing. I grab my stuff and drive to the hospital hoping, praying, wishing that I'll get there and everything will be fine, everything will continue on with my life like it has been and I can put this behind me.

I pull into a space and park my car, walking through the main entrance I pause to stare at my phone

"Ultrasound today baby 💜 you coming?" - Kirsten

"Never mind, I know you probably don't want too. It's not like you're it's dad or anything"
-Kirsten

"I thought you'd be here for our daughter, after all I'm due in less than 2 weeks"
-Kirsten

"I'm sorry, I love you. This had just been an emotional train wreck-y day"
-Kirsten

"Hey. Text me. I need to talk to the kids"
-Harper

I freeze when I see the message from Harper, what on earth does she need to talk to the kids for? I shake the thought from my mind and continue walking to the desk. They direct me to an examination room where I can wait till Dr. McCloud is available.

"Mr Goldman, thank you for coming in today."

I mumble a slight no problem, it's fine, whatever, can this just be over with

She starts speaking and I completely zone out, still fixated on the text from Harper. The kids, my kids, our kids. They're my whole heart and why she of all people would need to talk to them is beyond my belief.

As for what the doctor said, well that's another matter for me to worry about another time.