8 - Waking Up In.....?

HARPERS POV

I slow eloped my eyes, my neck feels stiff and my left half of my face feels really really odd. I notice Jacob sleeping on a chair

"J....J....." I stutter, realizing that my voice isn't working as well as I would like. I guess he hears my pathetic attempt because he stirs and looks up

"Harper, gosh. You woke up!!! Do you need anything?? Water? Food?" He asks me, while frantically jumping up from the chair.

"Wat...." I sputter before coughing a bunch

"Water, okay. I will be back in a few seconds with it!"

While he is gone I notice that my right leg is in a full cast, and a neck brace. Jacob walks in holding bottle of water and a straw.

"Thanks." I say trying my best to drink the water, but failing because my neck brace is holding me back

"So, I'm assuming you want to know what happened." He says sitting on the edge of the bed holding the water and my hand

"No, I know."

"Then can you explain to me, I was worried sick about you. I mean it's 4:30 in the morning!"

" Let me explain later, I'm tired and sore."

"Okay, get some rest. Later today the doctors are going to run some tests and other things. But, I still want to know why your car ran off the road."

"Okay."

LATER THAT DAY

"Well, Mrs Lanning. Your neck seems to be fine so the brace can be removed. As for the burns you just need to apply the special cream for 6 weeks. The cast will stay on for approximately 12 weeks with therapy and another 3 after. Then the cast can be removed and you can return to therapy for 4 weeks."

"Okay, thank you." I say

The doctor leaves the room and Jacob turns to me.

"Can you please please please tell me what happened now?"

"It is to horrible."

"Babe. You are my fiancée if you can't tell me what happened to cause this, then I don't think we can get married." He paces the floor

"Why not?"

"Because I cannot tolerate lies."

"Fine. I tried to commit suicide."

"WHAT???? HARPER WHAT WERE YOU FUCKIN THINKING!??"

"I wasn't okay, please don't yell. Just let me explain."

"Harp, I swear if this is some pathetic stunt you better call it all off."

"Okay. Let me explain please."

"You better tell me EVERYTHING!!!"

"Fine, fine" I say feeling my eyes well up with tears "Chris followed me after I left the reveal party. I stopped at a cafe because I didn't want him to go to the cemetery. Then he went off on a rant about how he missed out on 4 1/2 years of Kimmys life. The whole thing basically ended with him yelling about how I would here from his lawyers to get custody."

"Wait, custody? She was stillborn, I was there with you when she was born."

"Yeah, he drove off before I could explain. Now I have to worry about a lawyer and everything, cause honestly he won't care what I say."

"I'm so so sorry for the way I reacted. Why did the cause you to want to kill you self?"

"I have no idea, at the time it seemed right to go be with Kimberly."

"Okay. But please promise me that you will never do anything like this again. If you ever feel terrible don't hesitate to call me if I'm not with you or talk to me. I'm going to be your husband I will support you through thick and thin. No matter how cheesy it sounds."

"I love you, so so much. I don't deserve you." I say leaning over to hug him

"Listen, I think I may be ready to take on a case like this."

"What do you mean a case like this. You aren't being the lawyer for my side of this case."

"Harper. I'm going to do this. Not as your fiancé but as your friend who's helping you out. Plus, this won't even be a real case. The daughter he is fighting for was stillborn."

"Really? You will take time to be my lawyer for this."

"Yes. I love my future wife and if you ever need a lawyer for anything I'll do it, no charge."

"What did I ever do to deserve you? I'm not nearly good enough for you."

"You are so wrong on this part, you are way out of my league." He says sitting back on the bed with me

"In your dreams, I mean my life is. Royally screwed up right now. I tried to kill myself, I blew a portion of my wedding budget on this....."

"No, no. I know things and have connections. Chris can and will pay for this, he caused this."

"No, no. I'll just loose a quarter of the money I've saved for the past 4 1/2 years."

"Okay, fine." He leans over and kisses me.

JACOBS POV

I lean out of the kiss.

"I'm going to go get dinner for us now, it's almost 7:30."

"Okay, I love you so much sweetie." She says leaning back into her bed

As soon as I'm out of earshot from her room I pull out my phone.

"Hey, Harold. It's me Jacob, I need you to find out everything you can on Christopher Goldman, he does go by Chris but legal stuff would be under Christopher. Thanks man, I'll explain everything when I get back on next Monday. Pass all my cases off to French, Harper is not in the best of shape and I don't want to leave her alone. I'll see you next Monday. Bye"

I go and grab food from the hospital cafeteria taking it back to the room. To find Harper already asleep. She is so beautiful even with her burn marks and full leg cast. I make a promise to myself right then and there to always treat Harper like the queen she is and be completely honest, which means I may have to reveal a big secret.