12 - Madness & Memories

OKAY IGNORE THE PICTURE!!! IT IS FOR THE NEXT CHAPTER!!!!

"Harper, I'm so so sorry that I caused this mess. The 3 1/2 million I have to give you isn't enough. I'm going to give you a solid 5 million and pay for your wedding"

"No, no you are not. I am just fine with what the court ordered you to pay. In fact I don't even want your money. I was never about that."

"I know, I know. I was beyond stupid about that. I mean I regret everyday that you are not with me. But, your now engaged to that one guy and I can't change it."

"Yeah, Jacob was there for me during the worst portion of my life. He was also the only other person to see Kimmy."

"You call our daughter Kimmy?"

"Yes, it's kinda my nickname for her." I say starting to cry

"Shh, it's okay don't cry." He says pulling me into a hug which I instantly pull out of

"Chris, you and I will never happen. I am going to marry Jacob because he LOVES me unlike you. I mean you cheated on me for gods sake."

"Don't you dare say that! I never stopped loving you. In fact at the party I had a flashback about you and realized that I had never stopped loving you."

"If you love me than why did you cheat on me? Why did you not try to find me? Why did you hurt me so much? I hate you right now."

"I was stupid. I never wanted to hurt you. Intact I never wanted to sleep with the girl I did, I was stupid and I had gotten some really bad news that day."

"What news?"

"That I had been diagnosed with a cancerous tumor in my left knee."

"You what??" I say in shock

"Yeah, I had to go through 2 years of chemo and physical therapy. It was the worst point of my life."

"Chris, why didn't you call me as soon as you found out?"

"I'm not good at handling situations like it, so I went to a bar, got drunk, And called my assistant because I figured you wouldn't want to see me in that condition and you were at the doctor."

"You should have called me, I would have came back to you."

"Really?" He says looking up from the floor

"Yeah, I probably would have hated you still for cheating on me but we would have worked everything out. Who knows maybe Kimmy would still be here."

"This is all my fault that she's not here. I screwed up your life so so bad and I killed my child"

"You didn't kill her. I did."

"No, it was the stress that I caused to happen by the divorce."

"Incase you forgot I wanted the divorce."

"Harper, do you still love me?" He asks suddenly

"Chris, what.....what....what do you mean."

"It's a yes or no. Do you love me?"

I start to shake my head no

"Chris, I can't be honest with you because I would have to be honest with myself. It would just ruin my life again and I probably couldn't marry Jacob and be 100% happy."

"So, it's a yes."

"It's definitely not a no."

"Harper, you love me."

"So what, you have your perfect supermodel fiancé and you to are getting married in a few weeks."

"Yeah, she's a lesbian. So no wedding."

"You are kidding me right now!! Tessa's not a lesbian she loves you."

"No, she loves my money."

"Oh, I see how it is."

"Say. Can we please try to be friends? Go get coffee sometime?"

"I don't know, I honestly don't know."

"Okay. Call me if you decide. And can I please have the graveyard Kimberly is buried in, I wNt to go visit her."

"Sure, she is in the South Cali Grace Cemetery. Her gave is the one with a teddy bear carved in and out names. There should also be some purpley and turquoise flowers that I placed this morning. If you decide to go today."

"Thank you, I hope to hear from you soon. I'll have a check sent to your place."

"Only for the 3 1/2 million, no more."

"Yeah, yeah, yeah. I know that you don't want the money but I want to give you it."

"Nope. Please only send the required."

"You should know by now that I always go above and beyond. Remember our first wedding anniversary?"

"We went to Paris, and stayed In a fantastic 5 star hotel. Then we had a special private dinner on the top of the Eiffel Tower and I told you I was pregnant and we found out later that it was twins."

"That's right, but you miscarried about 3 months in. We named them Marilynn and Kate even though we had only had a brief idea they were girls. From that DNA test thing, and mourned for many of the months to come after we had lost them. Then we had some more tests done and found out that the chances of you conceiving again were slim."

"Yes, I remember that day. It was Valentine's Day you had planned a fantastic dinner at Luigi's Italian we were sitting on the private balcony and my phone rang with the information. I burst out in tears and threw the champagne glasses off the balcony."

Chris laughs "Yeah, the owner wasn't to pleases about you breaking two $500 glasses."

"Yeah. I remember him yelling at us and I yelled back. Did we even pay for the meal or broken glasses?"

"I don't think we ever did. But remember that damaged 1-of-a-kind car that the glasses hit and shattered?"

"Oh, yeah!! That ugly puke green corvette!!"

"That owner was so pissed off, I remember flipping him the bird and walking off."

"Yeah, I gave him my contact info but he never called."

He leans in and kisses me and I kiss him back. I suddenly realize what I'm doing and push him off

"That, that was a mistake."

"No, it wasn't. I felt the Sparks from years ago."

"No, it was a mistake. I am engaged to a man I love and who I know won't cheat on me."

"If that's what you think, fine. But, I still love you Ms. Harper Mackenzie Lanning."

He turns and walks out of the courthouse, I turn and walk out the side entrance to where Jacob and I parked. Assuming that he had moved to the car instead of standing alone.

"How was your chat?"

"I don't ever want to talk about it." I say coldly. "Just take me back home, I don't want to do anything."