14 - Why did you save me?

CHRIS POV

I storm out of the office in a panic, I just heard about an apartment on fire near Harpers home.

I drive like a mad man until I see that it is in fact her home that is in flames.

Without hesitating I rush into the building. I forget what apartment she was in but I have a gut feeling for the fourth floor apartment 46. I dash for the stairs, grateful for the years of track I did in middle & high school. Plus college. I bust the door down and rush around the apartment where I find her laying in the kitchen beat up really really bad. Flames surrounding her.

"HARPER!!!! Wake up!!!" I shout shaking her

Nothing's working, I check her pulse. Luckily I find one. I pick her up from the floor and rush out of the burning apartment to my left flames to my right flames straight ahead a window, clear shot. I suddenly realize I have no other options. I run towards the window and at the last second turn and crash through it with my back. I can feel glass shards cutting my skin. As we fall from the window I notice that there is a pond that we are falling into. Just as we plummet into the water fire trucks pull up and firemen, who I guess saw me fall, rush over to us and pull Harper and I out of the water.

They try to help me but I push back and yell that she needs help first.

HARPERS POV

My eyes flutter open to a familiar sight of beeping machines, pale walls, and I look at the chair expecting to see Jacob torn up over the last conversation we had. Instead I see Chris crying like a little baby.

"What's up?" I say he looks up immediately "What's the tears for?"

"Harper, you are okay!! Oh my gosh, I can't believe you are okay."

"What happened? I mean, I know about the fire and Jacob abusing me. How did I get here and why are you here?"

"I heard about a fire near your condo. So, I dropped everything at work and rushed over. Your building was in flames and I rushed in to save you. According to the head chief if I hadn't jumped out of the building into the pond with you, there was a great chance that you wouldn't have made it. Jacob abused you?"

"Thank you. I'm beyond glad that you saved me. I guess I'm really lucky to be alive with a minor burn to my thigh."

"Yes. Now what about this abuse?"

"You don't want to hear about it."

"Harper, please tell me."

"You are my ex-husband why should I tell you?"

"Because I still care about you!!"

"Fine, but I'm telling you this in secret you can't tell anyone else."

"Deal."

"It started when we were dating for maybe 9 months. I can't remember exactly the time but I know it was after Kimberly was born. I had to stay late at a production meeting for the movie that was in progress...."

"The one you just had the premier for?"

"Yeah, that one. Anyways, I got home all of an hour late and he went off on me for being late, accused me of cheating, and then he punched me in the eye. As soon as he did it he immediately apologized. So, I thought nothing of it. Nothing happened for a while, then I found out I was pregnant with his child. I told him after I got my 1st ultrasound and he beat me, kicking me in my stomach. Killing the baby when I was only 6 weeks along. I named the baby Charlie since I thought it was a nice gender neutral name. That slid past us and soon he started getting upset over the littlest of things: I cooked the eggs wrong, I forgot to vacuum the office, dinner was late by five minutes, I fell asleep on the couch when he was about to watch football, it went on and on. He threatened me that if I ever told it would be 1000 times worse. So, I put on a happy face around everyone even if he pushed me around like a slave..."

"Why were you going to marry him?"

"Hush, I'm getting there. So, when he proposed to me at the gala I acted so excited even if it was killing me. He forced me into marriage for the money I have apparently. He didn't know that 95% of the money I made went to charity. I only kept the bare minimal amount possible to pay rent, buy groceries and gas, and cover my medical bills. Anyways, he wanted to marry me, get me pregnant, claim I cheated, and divorce me for everything I had leaving me with nothing and a child. I wasn't to keen on the plan but I was forced into almost marrying him. I regret every day I spent with him. I mean my family doesn't even know about everything or Charlie. YOU BETTER NOT TELL ANYONE!!"

"I won't, but what he was trying to do is illegal."

"Who cares, I'm not engaged to him anymore. That's why he tried to kill me and get away with murder."

"He tried to kill you?"

"Yeah, the fire wasn't accidental. I came home to a beautiful dinner with candles lit. He told me he couldn't marry me because I still had feelings for you and since we kissed he felt like I was just going to cheat on him. He knocked me to the ground and beat me, hit the candle of the table, and stormed out."

"Harper, I am so so sorry."

A nurse walks in

"Excuse me for interrupting, but I just had one question for Ms. Lanning."

"Yeah, sure." I say

"Where will you be living once you are able to leave? You must be in care by someone for 6 months as your leg heals from the damage."

"She will be living with me." Chris says

"Chris, no. I will go live with my sister and her now husband."

"They eloped?"

"Yeah, now I can't live with you."

"Excuse me, which is it?"

"She will live with me at my residence. Chris Goldman,  My address is 462 Western Rodeo Street."

"Okay, thank you." The nurse writes something on her clipboard and walks out

"Chris, no. You are my ex-husband I can't live with you."

"Yes, you can and will. It's final, I have plenty of extra space now that a certain someone I don't want to state the name of moved out."

"You guys broke up?"

"Yeah, she's apparently a lesbian. Don't you remember I told you at the courthouse?"

"Hahaha!! No, I don't remember that part. Fine, I'll live with you for the required 6 months. But I won't be happy about it."

"Sure you won't. I know lots of women who would kill to be saved by me then live with me."

"I'm not lots of women. I am me and I want to be independent, plus I'm not really fond on relationships especially since my last one ended terrible."

"Relationship? Harper, do you still love me?"

"No, yes, no, maybe, sort of. Look, we ended on bad terms. However, I still kinda have feelings for you."

"Well, I still have feelings for you." He says smiling at me. He leans in and kisses my forehead "Get some sleep, you can leave in a couple hours. Don't worry about the bills for this."

"Chris, I can pay things on my own."

"I don't care if you can, I want to and will."

"You are so stubborn."

"Have you met you?" He asks me

I giggle "I have, now i am actually really tired. Goodnight."

"Goodnight my dear." He says leaning over and kissing my forehead again.

I won't admit it to him, but I actually like him being with me. Maybe over the next 6 months things can start to heal between us. Note the MAYBE!

A/N

So:
-Harper was in an abusive relationship with Jacob
-They both like each other
-She has lost two babies (excluding the two with Chris: Marilynn & Kate)
- They have to live together for 6 months
-Chris is going to do something about Jacob without Harper knowing. What do you think it will be?

What do you think of all of this? Comment below!! :)

I hope you are enjoying this so far!