Chapter 15

Tanner stepped out of the crowd with an exhilarated look on his face. I shivered at how happy he was.

"Hey babe. Long time no see" he greeted with a smirk.

I gritted my teeth, anger flashing through me.

"Katrina, why don't you show these fine people what happened?" Miles cut in. As much as I didn't want to, it seemed I didn't have a choice. But this many people...I had only done one person at a time.

I took a deep breath and reached my thoughts out to every mind in the room. I could feel them each individually but also as a group.

I showed them her face first. Her nice smile and the way her hair shined in the right light. I showed them Megan's kindness, loving, and caring side. Even though I had only know her a short while, I knew she was all that was good in the world trapped in this darkness.

Hesitantly, I them showed them her in the arena for the last time. She saw Tanner and I knew what was coming. Her delicate skin slicing so easily by her own hand was so hard to watch. I felt the crowd flinch.

I showed one last memory; Jake. Him crying into my shoulder after her death. I made the audience feel the pain I could see Jake was in. I slowly pulled away my thoughts, letting them see the room we were in again. Sharing that had really taken it out on me and exhaustion crashed on me hard. I took a deep breath, trying to slow my pulse.

"Katrina, are you sure you don't want to do this?" Miles asked smugly. I felt my rage flare again.

"Don't provoke me Miles" I told him sternly, remembering what Cameron said about controlling my temper. He grinned.

"Well I'm up for it" Tanner piped up "although it's such a waste" he looked me up and down and licked his lips.

"Tanner, you do this and you will die" I told him. He had no chance but his ego got the better of him.

He winked at me "isn't that the point of a duel? To see who's the better?" Tanner asked.

I had no more excuses. I had warned him and he killed Megan.

"Fine. Try me. But it's going to cost you your life" I told him. He grinned and we separated across the gym.

The audience on edge. They grinned with delight as them mumbled to themselves. Some even placed bets.

"On my count" Miles called out "three...two....one".

Instantly I felt pulses of electricity through my body. I never knew that I could do that but apparently Tanner did. His tactic was to use my own powers against me!

My muscles contracted and I fell to the floor, convulsing. I was still wet so the electricity spread like wild fire. I couldn't talk or think much. After a few minutes of agony, i felt my body relax and I was finally pain free. I soon realized I had died again. It was like i had blinked but i knew i had been out for a few minutes. I was tired of being killed for entertainment.

I opened my eyes, more black spots dotting my vision. Everything spun but I managed to sit up. Tanner stared at me, smiling.

"I win" he announced.

I laughed, humourless "do you see anyone dead here?".

He stopped, his smile dropped. He sprinted towards me then and i could see now he had a large knife in hand. I tried to move but I couldn't. Tanner made it so i couldn't move. This was going to hurt.

The knife went clean in and the force if it threw me back against the cement wall.

I took in a slow, staggered breath. I swallowed hard and looked down to see him push the blade in the rest of the way. I looked up into his eyes.