Chapter 10

I could practically smell the fear drifting through the arena. I was already aware that i, Megan, was separated from Jake. Calling out his name in a place like this was like pulling the trigger myself. I heard the death cries of battle near the North. I new then to steer clear of around there for a while. I ran to the south, in the hopes of finding Jake. The bush and tree branches tried to catch and slow me from my quest but did nothing but scratch me. I automatically blocked the pain out. Id had worse. I glanced at my watch-we had been in the arena no longer than an hour and 23 minutes. And i still didn't have a weapon. I looked around, frustrated. I saw a hole in the trunk of a tree and took a chance. My hand pulled out a short blade. Not the best thing to have but it was something. Besides, you could do some serious damage with this bad boy. I kept running and eventually came to a clearing. Just a single rock stood in the circle of trees. A boy sat on the rock with his back to me. I knew that hair. Tanner.

He didn't move as i stood frozen at the outskirts of the clearing. I turned slowly on my heel and took a step back in the directing i came. I felt my muscles freeze and i was no longer in control. They felt tightened and ridged. I felt nothing but the paralyzing fear running through my veins. Had all the years of cheating death finally caught up with me? Was this how it would end...how i would end? My throat tightened. I wanted to get on my knees in front of Tanner and beg him to spare me. I wanted to live! I wanted to leave Carmelo and do something with my life! Not have it end in this God forsaken arena. I spun to look at him, unwillingly. He stood and made a pouty face, toying with me.

"no. Please don't do this" i begged. He laughed at my groveling. He was so cruel. He belonged in the army. I walked, like a puppet on a string, up to him and was now face to face."this isn't fair" i said through gritted teeth.

"life isn't fair, honey, deal with it". My hand lifted to my throat and pressed the knife to it. The cold steel of the blade sent shivers down my spine.

He caressed my face and lips for a second then whispered to me "ill miss you and your sugar lips" he sighed and dropped his hand.

"no..." i sobbed. My tears fell like Niagara falls. Everything i wouldn't get to do ran through my head. I would never go to college. I would never get my license or my own car. I would never marry or have children of my own. I would never...live to see what the next hour brings.

"goodbye" he said as i slit my own throat.

I woke up, gasping for air and holding my throat. I felt around a little for cuts but felt nothing. my wild eyes looked around for shapes or movment in the room but found nothing. I collapsed back on the bed, waiting for my breathing to return normal. It was the same dream id had in the hospital. It was so weird. It was like i was Megan but i wasn't in control, she was. Why would i have dreamed this anyways? But it was so vivid! I shook the dream off as i got up and glanced at the clock. 5:42?!?

That means i had 17 minutes to prepare the food, the house, and myself! Wait..i had a little help that i wasn't used too. I took a second to compose myself then got out of bed. I wanted a real shower so i went into the bathroom and stiped off my clothes and got into the tub. I was greeted by jets of water that soothed me. What a day. I died today. Wow, most people can't say that. I feel so many emotions that it all jumbles up into one big emotional mess! Anger, sadness, resentment, hate, depression, self loathing and pity, and an all around hurt feeling. But they weren't all bad. I also felt love, acceptance, happiness, and a sense of peacefulness. It was sorting through them was the problem. I wasn't used to any of it. Well maybe the negative feelings but defiantly not the good ones. I mean, what could i do in a situation like this?

Could i just go to a therapist and be like 'hey! My name is Katrina! My parents tried to kill me but i saved myself with my freak superpowers and my new boyfriend lied to me about his whole life not to mention he is a murderer and to save me, i am now a murderer as well. I also died in my old school because my freak powers got out of control and almost killed my boyfriend. Is that the correct time?' oh nu hu. Like i could say any of that to anyone. Not even Jake. He feels guilty enough as it is.