Chapter 4

"again!" i panted. I grabbed the very lethal looking sword off the ground. Jake looked exhausted.

"Cat we have been at this for hours! you and i both need a break!". He was right but i didn't want to stop. The competition was tomorrow and i would never be prepared for what was to come.

I sighed and said "you go ahead" he looked like he wanted to argue so i assured him "i will be there in half an hour, okay!".

He smiled and said "better".

"smart ass" i mumbled jokingly.

He left the gym and i went to treadmill. The first sprint was the most important. I set it high and timed myself to see if i could go this fast for 10 minutes. By day, i had been training with Jake in the gym. It was a win win because he and i both needed the training, him for his competition with Megan on Wednesday and mine on Monday. I always did hate Mondays.

By night, i was reading Jake's school books. You need to know these things because you could be in the arena for weeks! Jake told me the longest so far was a whole 2 months, 13 days, and 5 hours. That sent chills down my spine. The only thing that kept me sane was Jake. We were closer then ever. Literally. Jake was gracious enough to let me stay with him in his dorm. On the couch but still. I wont get a room until i pass the...lets say entrance exam. I hadn't wasted a second though. Not even Jake shirtless was enough to distract me. No matter...how hot it was. Oh damn. He had just got out of the shower and though i wasn't there. He was just wearing a towel.  No, i couldn't be distracted from my studies. I wanted to absorb each and everything i could if i wanted to have any chance of surviving. It seemed so impossible but i couldn't leave Jake. I loved him.

The ten minutes were over and i decided i had done enough today. I needed a shower, do some last minute studying, and a good night sleep. I was going to need it. Although, i kind of doubted i would get much sleep. The though of not knowing if tomorrow would be the last day of my life or not was kind of overwhelming.

I walked out of the now empty training room and went down the hall, passing by the desk where Ireen was currently working.

"hey Ireen" i greeted her. She looked up and smiled her usual melted chocolate smile. Warm and sweet.

"Hello Katrina. How are you?" she asked.

"I'm...honestly scared to death" i said, shakily. She opened her mouth to say something but then stopped. She got up, walked up to me, and just wrapped her arms around me.

"honey, i wish you all the luck in the world" she whispered. I smiled a sad smile and returned her hug.

"thanks Ireen...that means alot". Tears weld up in my eyes but our special moment was interrupted by a beeping coming from Ireen's hip. She let me go and picked up the device strapped to her hip and looked at it.

"I'm sorry but i have to go" she ran off without waiting for me to answer. Must have been important. I walked down the hall to Jake's room, room 1908. I opened the door and walked in to find Jake in the kitchen. He was wearing a dress shirt with the top button undone and the shelves rolled up and black skinny jeans. This was his form of "dressing up".

 I looked at him in a funny confused look and said "what are you doing?" the Island used for the table was candles, low lighting, and a place set for 2.

 "well" he said "i want to have a fun evening. If this is my last night to see you...well i want to make the most of it" he is so adorable.

I grinned and said "can i have a shower first?".

"don't take too long" he warned "and wear something pretty. Very pretty".I grabbed my toiletries bag, a change of clothes, and went to the bathroom. i turned the shower on and striped down from my black shorts and purple cami. The bathroom was nice. There was black tile, a glass doored shower with a smaller version of the black tiles for siding, and a sink with a black and white speckled granite counter top. I got into the shower and shivered as the jets of hot and steamy water danced on my chilled skin and slid off like melted butter hot toast. I shampooed, conditioned, and shaving seemed like a good idea also. I had a feeling. I came out, refreshed and energized. I put on my matching set of pink lace bra and underwear, very sexy. I put on my loose rose pink mini dress that had a swirl design cut out at the cleavage. The sleeves were loose and shoulder length and i added a black belt that hung on my hips where the skirt got a little lighter from the belt down and came down to my lower thigh and a large brown bracelet with a single flower cut into it. I also wore black short cut boot with a silver circle linked chain across the side. I cut and painted my nails black. While letting them dry, i blow dried my hair and curled it in loose ringlets. I took the top chunk and pinned it in the back and poofed the hair at my crown. I did my makeup-eyeliner, coverup, mascara, pink to go on the lid, and my shiny gloss.