Chapter 7

"just do it" i said through clenched teeth. Jake gripped the blade, the one i had originally climbed the tree to get, and pulled up. I tried but couldn't help the scream that escaped me. It was out and i was breathing hard. I collapsed on Jake's bed while he got the first aid kit to bandage it. He got out the first layer of bandaged motioned for me to give him my hand. I put mine in his. I could feel the pain...lessening. Sucking in like a straw, drinking the pain. I looked down and the hole in my hand was gone! Jake was stunned. I took my hand back and poked the place where i had been stabbed. Nothing. I was completely fine.

"well" Jake said, not moving "thats sure...something".

"yeah" i replied. The silence was kind of awkward. As scary as it was, i was also compelled with it. I took the knife and griped the blade. I pulled it out of my clenched fist and felt a sharp pain. I wince and opened my hand to see a pool of blood forming around the cut. I watched in amazement as the line i had just made shrunk down to nothing, leaving perfectly fine skin in its path.

"what does it feel like?" Jake asked, breaking out of his shock.

"like...a numbness is spreading around it. The pain is just gone and so is the injury" it was hard to explain.

"i wish i could feel it" Jake commented.

"You can" a voice said in my head.

"what?" i thought back. What am i doing? Who am i talking to?

"its you blood that does it. He has some of your blood, he can do what you can until the blood is gone". Really?

I considered it the told Jake "i think you can. Its going to sound weird but if you really want to..i can help you do it". He thought for a second then nodded.

"I need 2 needles" i said. He thought for a second. He then got up and left his room. I watched him, questioningly. He was gone a minute or so then returned with 2 needles. "where did you get those?" i asked. "the person next door is diabetic" well that was lucky. He gave me the needles. I took one and looked at my arm. I poked and could feel the blood rushing through. I knew exactly what to do and where to do it. I don't know how i knew, i just did. I plunged the needle in and extracted a full syringe worth. I took the needle and felt the already familiar feeling of the numbness spreading around where i had just pulled the needle out.

"are you still okay with this?" i asked Jake, holding up the blood filled syringe. He nodded hesitantly.

"give me your hand" i said. He did and i looked at it and focused. Slash. I made a quick cut down his palm. With my mind. He winced.

"sorry" i muttered. I looked at him to make sure he was still okay. He was staring intensely at his hand, not looking scared or panicked or anything so i continued. I could hear blood rushing through a vein at the base of the cut. It was very small. I plunged the syringe in and waited. The cut, a little slower then mine, healed.

"wow" Jake muttered. He took his hand and examined it carefully. "thats really cool!" i nodded. I stood up and saw the mess i had made on his bed.

"crap! Im sorry!" i said. The once white sheets were now stained with blood and dirt.

"why don't you use your...powers i guess. You can just lift it up with your mind" Jake suggested.  i cleared my throat, put my hands above his bed, and thought about lifting the dirt and blood from the sheets. Separating them. Then thats what happened. It all lifted from the sheets, just like i had imagined, came together in a neat pile and made its way to the garbage next to the door. With that, a wave of emotion hit me like a wave in the sea on a stormy night. I felt like a freak. I felt like maybe i didn't belong here. The circus wasn't very appealing either. I also felt like...i needed to stay. I was here for some unknown purpose.

"what am i" i asked Jake. I had been suppressing my emotions all day but i couldn't do it anymore. I was too exhausted.

"You can't help this, Cat, you were born with it. Its an amazing gift that you shouldn't be scared of. I love you and everything you come with" Jake explained. A tear ran through the dirt in my face. Jake tilted my chin up with 2 of his fingers, forcing me to look at him. "i will help as much as i can. Tomorrow we can explore what you are capable of. I feel we have just hit the tip of the iceberg. Well,if your up for it that is".

"i...i.. I think i need a shower"i said. I needed sometime to think. He nodded and released my chin but didn't turn away until after he had crushed his lips to mine that made my heart flutter.

" i love you too" i said through a strained voice after i broke the kiss. I went into the bathroom and stripped down then stepped into the bathtub. I turned on the water and was greeted by jets of icy water. I stood there, not caring. I watched as blood running off me turned the water red mixed with dirt. I was now a murderer. I was a murderer with freak powers. I was breathing hard. Why was this happening? why me? No one could answer that question. I wanted the blood off faster than it was running. I flung my hands, and saw the dirt and blood fly off my body and shower the walls. I crumpled and a sob racked my body. I couldn't tell what was tears or water but i didn't care. I wanted a knife. I looked to my hand to find one. I wanted to feel something else then this drained, painful feeling. I took the knife and made a slice down my arm, spraying the white tub tile with blood. I did this over and over and over, non of the pain lasting very long. I cried and wanted more. I took the knife and stabbed myself a few inches above my belly-button. I made a sound somewhere between a scream and a sob as i crumpled over the knife, crying.

I heard pounding on the door. But i just made the door of steal. Jake wouldn't be able to get in now. Blood flowed like a river. But as soon as i took the knife out, the cut was gone. I got out of the tub and went to the mirror. I stared at myself and touched the mirror, leaving a bloody hand print. Then i reared back and sent my fist through the mirror. It shattered and i collapsed in a bloody mess, sobbing. I had no idea why i had just...broken like that but i felt almost relieved. I let all my emotions fall with me-pain, hurt, anger, frustration, hatred, and others. I now just brought my knees to my chest and wrapped my arms around them and sobbed. I sat there until there was nothing left to cry about. I felt empty and tired. I looked at the door behind me and made it wood again. I heard Jake get up, i think he was sitting against the door, and burt in. I sniffed and put my head down, surrounded by blood, dirt, and glass.

Jake gasped and whispered "what have you done?" he came behind me and touched my back. I liked the feeling of his touch and then he draped a house coat that was stained with blood over my shoulders. I had forgotten i was naked. He sat and just held me. I was so exhausted.

I just drifted.

_____________________________________________________________________________

Fan, comment, vote!