Chapter Fifty Six

'Beca...I want to get married'

A crowd in the corner of the hall cheered loudly as one guest performed a party trick with a deck of cards. Also, gatherings of tired children were being dragged off the dancefloor by their even-more-exhausted parents.

'What?'

'I said-'

'Sorry, could I just get past? Come on, Jessica', a party-goer said, barging through Beca and Chloe with her grumpy daughter and creating a gap between the couple.

'What did you say, Chlo?'

'Nevermind', the redhead sighed defeatedly before hiccuping.

'I think it's time for us to head back to the hotel', Beca mumbled.

'Okay'

The girls said a brief goodbye to their friends Derek and Madison and made their way outside of the building. The cold, stark reality of the night air hit them like a bullet- they hadn't realised quite how humid and stuffy the venue was.

'Come closer', requested Beca when the brisk air awoke the hairs on her arms.

Obeying the demand, Chloe indeed came closer and placed her arm around Beca's shoulders, which prompted the brunette to put hers around the ginger's back. They strolled like that all the way to their hotel room- only making a few stumbles on the way.

Once they slumped onto their hotel bed after undressing and cleaning off their makeup, they fell asleep almost instantly with their legs and arms entangled.
-------------------
The following afternoon, Beca and Chloe left the hotel to get brunch and do a spot of shopping to make the most of their little weekend away.
It was a sunny day with a fresh, cool breeze, and the town streets were bustling with hopeful shoppers and joyful children.

'What a beautiful necklace'

The girls were gazing into the windows of a jewellery store, as Chloe had been drawn to the sparkling treasures inside like a moth to a flame. The redhead was particularly taken to a silver necklace- a delicate chain with a tiny topaz stone hanging on the end. Meanwhile, Beca couldn't take her eyes off a set of stunning rings a couple of windows away from her girlfriend. Her fingers lightly touched the glass as she wondered which would be the perfect-

'We should probably find a café now, Becs before everyone else has the same idea and we don't get a table', Chloe said, sidling up to the DJ all of a sudden, piercing Beca's thought cloud.

'Yeah, okay. Let's go'

They didn't have to walk very far to find a suitable café for a casual brunch consisting of a cream cheese bagel and a glass of orange juice for the brunette, and a bowl of muesli and mixed berries for Chloe, which, to the café owners' annoyance, had to be specially prepared.

'You sicken me, you know that?', Beca joked after swigging her drink.

'Why?'

Beca gestured to the bowl of healthy goodness in front of her and smirked.

'You're the only person I've ever known to eat non-junk food when they're hungover, Chlo'

'I'm not really hungover', the ginger said nonchalently.

'Lucky you'

'Do you want some painkillers? I have some in my bag'

'I could do with one, thanks. My head is pounding', Beca sighed, clutching at her forehead.

Chloe searched into her handbag for some painkillers, then handed over a tablet over the table.

'Are you going to be okay to drive us home?', she questioned with kind eyes. 'I'll drive if you want me to', she added as she reached over to squeeze Beca's forearm comfortingly.