Chapter Forty Six

1am.

'Beca, are you awake?'

Chloe was laying in bed facing the small girl's back. The warm glow of the bedside table lamp lit their bodies ever so slightly.

'Yeah...', Beca croaked, 'I can't sleep'

'Wanna talk for a while?'

It took a moment for her to gather enough energy to turn over, but soon the brunette was face-to-face with Chloe's blue eyes and red hair.

'What do you wanna talk about?'

'We could play a game of truths?'

'Chlo, you know I hate games'

'You hate everything fun', Chloe laughed.

'Not everything fun', Beca smirked.

Playfully socking her in the arm, the redhead giggled, then said, 'Come on, please?'

The DJ glanced over her shoulder at the alarm clock on the bedside table. Sighing loudly, she replied, 'Ugh, fine'

Excitedly, Chloe asked the first question, 'What's the best date that you and I have been on?'

'Umm, I don't think I have a particular favourite...I loved those coffee dates we used to go on before we were actually dating'

Chloe grinned widely and felt happiness well up in her chest. 'When we used to meet after rehearsals and get coffee together behind Aubrey's back', she reminsced.

'I thought you were cool for hanging out with me'

'It wasn't a big deal- I wanted to spend time with you'

'You were the first friend I'd had who was a girl, so I appreciated it'

Chloe reached out an arm to hold her girlfriend's hand, 'Your turn', she smiled.

'Alright', Beca thought momentarily, 'What's the weirdest dream you've ever had?'

'You know it already', Chloe answered after thinking to herself and giggling, 'It's the one where I went to Costco'

The brunette had to reach into her memories to figure out which one she was talking about, (Chloe regularly kept a journal of her dreams, and updated Beca on them whether she liked it or not), but she laughed as soon as she remembered.

'My turn. What's the best kiss you've ever had?', the redhead questioned, looking into Beca's eyes.

Beca considered her reply, then said, 'Our first kiss'

'Describe it'

'We had just watched Perks of Being a Wallflower- your favourite film- and you carried me to my room', the DJ said quietly, gazing at her fingers, which were interlocked with Chloe's, 'We sat down on my bed- I didn't want you to leave...'

'And then what happened?'. Chloe was captivated.

'You said- you told me you liked me, and I didn't know how to react for a while...but then I said it back. Before I knew it we were leaning in and kissing'

After hearing the answer to her question, Chloe instinctively moved closer to Beca and gave her a smooth, loving, meaningful kiss as a thank you for the story.

'I love you, Chlo'

'I love you too'. As she pulled back slightly, the ginger added, 'When did you start liking me, Beca?'

'I can't answer that', the DJ replied.

'Why not?'

'Because I don't know. It just kind of happened...You went from being this weird, but friendly girl to my best friend, and obviously more'

'Weird?'

'You barged into my shower, Chlo'

'You had a beautiful voice', Chloe smiled.

'You always used to do things like that', Beca recalled, 'Remember when we used to have sleepovers with the Bellas, and you'd ask me really personal questions?'

The redhead nodded.

'Were you just trying to get to know me?', Beca wondered.

'Um...sometimes I was'

'What were you doing the other times?'

'Do you promise not to get mad at me?'

Beca furrowed her eyebrows in concern, 'Yeah, okay, I promise. Tell me'

Chloe avoided her girlfriend's eyes and bit her lip before she said, 'I thought that you were unhappy'

There was an air of silence as the brunette took in what she had just heard. Then, she spoke under her breath, 'I was occasionally...unhappy'

'I couldn't figure out the reason why you were, but I felt it'

'I suppose I was lonely', Beca admitted, but then rambled, 'My parents...ugh, god. You probably don't want to listen to this'

Chloe squeezed her girlfriend's hand to emcourage her to continue, so she did.

'My parents had split up, and I didn't want to go to college- I wanted to be on my own, making my own music. I didn't know anyone, and that was partly because I pushed away everyone who came close. Everyone thinks that I joined the Bellas to get out of college, and at first, that's what I believed too, but then I met you'

Chloe moved her hand to Beca's arm, and she rubbed it slowly and comfortingly.

'It was really scary when you wouldn't back down even after I pushed you away. No one had ever fought for me like that...Anyway, Jesse came along and it was a bit overwhelming with all the other changes going on in my life. I was unhappy because I couldn't understand what was happening to me'

'You could have talked to me, Becs', the redhead told her, again moving her hand- this time to hold Beca's face.

'I had the feeling that you wanted me to open up about something when you used to ask me all those questions', Beca replied, 'But you never pushed me for answers'

'You weren't mine to push. You had Jesse'

'I think you were mine all along'

Both girls shared a genuine smile, then Chloe leaned in for a warm hug, snuggling into her girlfriend's shoulder.

'Promise to tell me if you're ever unhappy again', the taller girl requested.

'I promise. You have to tell me if you're ever unhappy too'

'I promise, Beca'

Beca tilted her head back to kiss the top of Chloe's forehead.

Abruptly, the redhead asked, 'So what's the weirdest thing you've ever done sexually?'

'There it is', Beca laughed into her hair.

'I'm not going to sleep until you say'

'Is that right?'

Chloe nodded with a smirk.

'Okay, let me see...', the DJ said, 'You are the weirdest thing I've ever done'

Erupting into laughter, Chloe hit her girlfriend on the arm, then kissed her.

'You're the weirdo, Mitchell'

'I know I am', Beca winked, looking at her girlfriend's smile, 'Are you ready to try to sleep?', she added, glancing back up at her azure eyes.

'Not yet'

Chloe kissed Beca with every ounce of love in her body. When she pulled away from the lingering touch, the brunette looked lost- as if all she had known was her lips. Seeing the expression on her face, Chloe leaned in for one final kiss, then snuggled into her chest.

'You're amazing, little red', Beca said into the auburn hair beneath her.

'You're even more amazing, even-smaller brown'

A grin plastered on her face, Beca fell asleep with the most important person in the world wrapped in her arms.