Chapter Fifty Four

'I feel like I've run a marathon and lost a boxing match all in the same day', Beca groaned, holding her aching head.

'I told you not to go to work tonight, Becs'

'You know I had stuff to do. I couldn't just take time off- you know that'

'Yeah, but if you really feel this sick...', Chloe tried to reason.

The brunette made an exasperated, childish sigh. She held her head in her hands as she sat at the kitchen countertop, Chloe standing on the opposite side. Attempting to lighten the mood, the redhead switched on the radio; but as soon as the little stereo popped into life, Beca scowled at it like it had threatened to burn her precious laptop.

'Sorry, do you want me to turn it o-'

'I want some peace and quiet, Chloe', Beca snapped through partly-gritted teeth. 'I've got a huge headache'

'Okay', Chloe replied quietly, biting her tongue and keeping her cool.

Chloe Beale had many desirable traits, and patience was one of them. She knew that her girlfriend's temper was being caused by tiredness and sickness, so she refused to be tempted into an argument. Instead, she calmly walked over to a kitchen cupboard, took out a glass, wandered over to the fridge, then poured out some cold, fresh orange juice. After that, she brought it over to the counter in front of Beca and fetched the girl some pain relief medication as well as a cool flannel, which she had wet in the sink of the upstairs bathroom.

'I'll be doing some work in our room', she told her, rubbing the brunette's back once, then taking to the stairs.

'Uuuugh I feel like shit', Beca moaned, her voice husky and low, her nose sounding blocked.

Willow the kitten weaved between her legs, making her look down momentarily.

'I'm not cuddling you right now, Willow'

The creature meowed back.

'I'm gonna take a nap in the lounge. You can sit on the floor and...I don't know...do whatever a cat does'

With that, Beca heaved her lead body into the lounge and slumped onto a sofa, pulling a blanket over her and sniffing deeply. Willow joined her when she was fast asleep, and sat on the carpet as she was told.
-----------------------------------------
A couple of hours later, Beca woke up feeling sleepy but a tad less achey. When she rubbed at her eyes, she saw that Chloe was in the arm chair opposite with Willow in her lap.

'Hey, are you feeling any better?', Chloe asked once she had noticed Beca looking in her direction.

'A bit', the DJ yawned, bringing a hand to her mouth. 'Can I have a hug?', she added; she was feeling jealous of the attention being given to the kitten.

Chloe gently eased her little friend off her lap, sending her away with a stroke on the head. Then, she went straight over to her poorly girlfriend.

Kneeling on the floor, she leaned over to wrap her arms around Beca's neck, who was wrapping hers around the redhead's back. They held each other tightly and warmly, snuggling into one another's necks.

'Do you want another drink, or something to eat?', questioned Chloe in a whisper.

Beca breathed in the comforting smell of Chloe's hair as she smoothed the red waves with one hand. 'I'm fine thanks, Chlo'

'I hope you feel better soon'

'...I love you'

'I love you too', Chloe replied quietly.