Chapter Twenty Eight

Beca had been staying with Chloe for a couple of weeks now, and was searching online for a place of her own.

'What about this one?', she asked Chloe one evening.

'It's kinda small'

'I know, but I haven't got the biggest of budgets'

The phone started to ring before Chloe could reply. On the other end of the phone was her aunt.

'Hey, Chlo. I was wondering when you and Beca were coming to visit', Ms R said.

'When would you like us to? We're free tomorrow night, if that's okay?', Chloe asked.

'Yes, that would be excellent. I have a surprise for you two'

'Ooh, what is it?'

'Wait until tomorrow. Can you come at six?'

'Yeah, of course', Chloe replied.

'Okay, I love you'

'I love you too'

The redhead put the phone down, then stood behind Beca, who was sat on the sofa. She put her arms around her neck.

'My aunt has got a surprise for us, so can we go to see her tomorrow at six?'

'Ooh, mysterious', Beca said, stroking her chin for dramatic effect.

'So mysterious', Chloe agreed.
--------------------------------------------
Chloe and Beca turned up at Ms Robinson's house a few minutes before six.

Man, I haven't been here since-, Beca's train of thought was interrupted by Ms R answering the door.

'Great to see you again, Miss Mitchell'

Chloe's aunt gave Beca a warm hug, then gave one to her niece. Next, the three women walked into the lounge, Ms R leading the way. The three took places on the sofa and chair, and Chloe looked at her aunt expectantly.

'Can you tell us the surprise?', the redhead asked.

'Maybe I could...maybe I couldn't', Ms R teased.

'Please? You promised you'd tell me today', Chloe begged.

'Okay', her aunt answered, 'After we've eaten'

Beca and Chloe let out a disappointed 'aah' at the same time, making the older woman laugh.
----------------------
The food was absolutely delicious- a satisfying casserole. However, Chloe and Beca found it hard to focus on the taste of the food when they knew a surprise was coming up. So, they ate as quickly as they could, whilst still savouring every bite. When they had finished, Chloe's aunt made a serious face.

'Okay, I need to talk to you girls seriously'

'You're scaring me', the redhead said.

'It's nothing bad', she reassured, 'But I need you to be grown-ups about this'

Instinctively, Beca sat up straight in her seat and listened close.

'How would you feel...if I told you this house was yours?', Ms R said.

Chloe couldn't believe what she was hearing.

'Why are you asking us that?'

'Because I've agreed to rent a smaller house, and I know how much you love this place'

Beca and Chloe were still struggling to grasp the situation.

'Wh-why would you...get a smaller house?', the brunette questioned.