Chapter Forty Four

It was a stunning night in Switzerland. The air was mild, the stars burned bright in the navy-coloured sky, and there was nothing to be heard but the gentle hum of wildlife.

The Bellas had visited a local bar for cocktails a few hours ago, but no one had gotten drunk. They all genuinely wanted to fully experience their last night in the paradise that was their Swiss holiday.

At this point in time, (just after midnight), Beca and Chloe were sat on a bench overlooking the lake that surrounded their hotel. The light blue water was gently stirring, which had a calming effect on both girls.

'I can't thank you enough for this holiday, Chlo'

'I'm so glad you've enjoyed it', Chloe smiled, linking hands with her.

'Come here'

Beca put her arm around her girlfriend and brought her closer.

'I've loved spending more time with you and the Bellas', the redhead admitted, 'I miss you when we both have to go to work'

'I miss you too, but you know I'll always be there if you need me'

'Forever?'

'Forever'

Chloe snuggled into Beca's chest, smiling at the world. What had she done to deserve this most immense feeling of love?

Deeply, Beca breathed and then traced her eyes over the great mountains that lay around her. She looked at the reflection the full moon made on the silky, azure lake, and stared in awe.

'This would probably be a perfect place to propose, right?', Beca asked out of the blue.

Chloe, unsure of how to reply, stayed quiet.

'I mean, I'm not really...into all that romance stuff, but if I- if someone- was ever going to ask someone, then this would be the place to do it', the brunette continued, eyes still transfixed on the scenery.

A few seconds passed. Chloe thought to herself carefully.

'I think I want to give you my gift now, Beca'

'I thought you were saving it for when we've been together for six months?'

'I've changed my mind', the redhead replied, 'Wait here'

Chloe nipped off to their hotel room; she returned with her hands in the pockets of her gilet. Taking a seat next to her girlfriend, she gripped the gift hidden in her pockets.

'You don't have to like it', she said, 'Tell me and I'll take it back- it won't matter'

'I know I'll love it', Beca told her with a soft tone.

Chloe removed the gift from its hiding place, and passed it to her girlfriend. It was a small, black, square-shaped box. Beca opened it with sensitive hands whilst the taller girl nervously looked onwards.

Inside of it was a ring.

The brunette was speechless.

The redhead saw the stupefied expression on her face, and wished the ground would swallow her up. Then, she knew she had to speak up.

'It's not...an engagement ring...', she whispered in a barely-audible voice, feeling embarrassed.

When she recieved no verbal reply, but instead had her eyes met, she spoke up once more, saying, 'It's a promise ring...'

Beca leaned forward, box in hand, and gave Chloe a tight, desperate hug- one that never wanted to be broken. Chloe was unsure of how Beca was feeling- was she upset? Freaked out?
She awaited a verbal response.