Chapter 72

Lexa's POV

I stand and pull Clarke up as well. She immediately grabs hold of my hand, squeezing it. I feel that there is a smile on my face and I know it is one I cannot hide; especially from her.

I nod politely to Clarke's mother as we pass her as she scowls at me. We are still not on good terms and I am starting to think that we never will be. We both love Clarke, but in different ways. Abby wants to protect Clarke from the bad in the world, despite what her daughter's already seen and gone through. I just want to be by her side.

We walk up onto a make shift platform at the center of the camp. There is a large crowd gathered, it seems everyone is curious as to what happened. I am certain that I see some Ice Nation civilians.

Indra, Raven, and Octavia are already waiting for us.

"Done making out in your tent?" Octavia asks in a quieter voice.

I am glad she is not shouting that because I do not want Abby to be even more angry at me. I may not particularly like the woman, but she is Clarke's mother.

"We were not-" Clarke says, frowning. I cannot find it in myself to be annoyed at myself for thinking she looks cute when she is frowning like that.

"Then why does Abby look like she wants to stick the Commander's head on a spike?" Raven interrupts.

"She always looks like that." I say. I rub my thumb over Clarke's hand apologetically once I realize what I said. I do not want to make her uncomfortable.

Clarke just looks slightly annoyed as she glances at her mother with fiery eyes. I breathe a sigh of relief. She is not mad at me. "She always looks like that."

"True." Octavia nods, patting Clarke's shoulder comfortingly.

"Stop behaving like children. We must let them know what happened at the Ice Castle." Indra crosses her arms.

"She is right." I tell them. I turn to the gathered people. They are all looking at us intently. Everyone stops speaking, most leaning forward curiously. "The Ice Queen is dead." Cheers erupt from the crowd and I let them have their short celebration (I am certain we will have a much bigger one later). Once they settle down, I resume speaking. "Clarke and I delivered the fatal blows. The Ice Nation is free from her tyrannical reign. There is a new person in charge, one Clarke and I both trust. His name is Menelaus." I notice some Ice Nation people relaxing at the sound of his name. They already like and trust him. Good. "We will be keeping an eye on this nation to make sure that it lives up to its greatness. Do not worry, we will watch from our own territories and just make sure Menelaus is the leader he promised he will be."

I see my parents run up out of the corner of my eyes and turn to them. Clarke squeezes my hand before letting it go and I walk to them. They wrap me in a hug.

"For those of you that haven't heard, those are the Commander's parents." Raven announces.