Chapter 12

I tense automatically at the sound of her voice as adrenaline floods my veins, begging me to rip her heart out with my bare hands.

Clarke looks back and forth between us, taking in the Ice Queen's fancy intricately woven white dress and her snow flake earrings and the burning hatred I know is in my eyes. But I can hide it well so no one but her can tell that I am aching to kill the woman in front of me.

Clarke places her hand on my lower arm before sliding it down and interlacing our fingers. I feel my body reacting instantly to her touch, relaxing.

The Ice Queen's eyes follow us as she silently watches us interact and her porcelain face cracks slightly into a frown. She goes back to her cool exterior as quickly as it broke. She keeps that unnatural smile as she speaks.

"You must be the leader of the Sky People."

I bristle as she addresses Clarke though her thumb rubs my tension away.

"Yes, my name is Clarke. And you are?" She cocks her head slightly and I can see the twitch of her mouth that means she is trying to fight a smile. She is adorable when she's pissing off my archenemy.

The Ice Queen's smile falters for a moment. "You may have heard about me from Lexa. I am the Queen of the Ice People."

Clarke shakes her head slowly, giving a thoughtful frown before saying, "Nope. She didn't mention you. Why?" She is better at lying than I would have guessed. I bite my lip to hold back a laugh and Clarke's eyes drift down to stare at my lips before returning to stare down my enemy.

The Ice Queen smirks and my heart almost stops beating in my chest at the sight. I recognize her evil plan face. I squeeze Clarke's hand lightly, wishing I could warn her.

"Well, she should have! We are to be married."

The Ice Queen watches Clarke's face as she lies but Clarke does not seem angry or seem like she wants to break up with me. That is always a good sign. I should say something even though Clarke does not seem to believe her.

I hope that she knows there is no one in my heart but her.

"We are never getting married," I make eye contact with her and she just seems amused.

"We'll see." She smiles. What does she have planned?

"Lexa just clearly said that she won't marry you. Ever. So please, do yourself a favor so I don't have to repeat myself, and f u c k off."

The Ice Queen raises her eyebrows but Clarke does not back down even when she tries to glare her into submission.

"As you wish. The meeting begins tomorrow at dawn. Bye, Lexa."

She walks past us, brushing shoulders with me.

"To you I am the Commander or Commander Lexa. Never just Lexa."