Chapter 69

Clarke's POV

We set up camp for the night on the icy tundra, too far and too dark to just continue walking. Raven and Octavia share a tent while Indra has her own. Lexa and I are sharing one.

After a small dinner of a snow rabbit Lexa caught on the way here, we all head back to our respective tents. We're all to tired to do much else.

"Don't be too loud, Clexa." Raven yawns before slipping into her and Octavia's tent.

"Clexa?" Lexa asks me, frowning in confusion.

I pull her into our tent. "It's a combination of our names. Clarke and Lexa together. Clexa. She just thinks she's clever."

"She is." Lexa says. She blinks, like she's realized what she just said. "Never tell her I said that. Raven will never let me hear the end of it."

"I won't tell her."

My eyes droop and I crawl under the furs. Lexa joins me, keeping a respectable distance between us. I know it's her way of letting me know we don't have to be really close if I don't want to.

I grumble exhaustedly and pull her closer. I don't have to open my eyes to know that she's smiling. I rest my head on Lexa's shoulder, tangling our legs together. I snuggle into her as close as I can, she's warm and just as cuddly as I remember.

Lexa wraps an arm around me, pressing a kiss to the top of my head before I fall asleep.

I wake up to the smell of cooking meat, my stomach grumbling loudly. Lexa's hands are in my hair, stroking gently. I move impossibly closer to her and kiss the first piece of her I can reach. That just happens to be her neck. Lexa sucks in a breath but otherwise stays silent.

"Morning." I murmur.

"Morning. I think Indra caught something."

"Good. I'm starving."

Lexa chuckles when my stomach growls its confirmation. She helps me up and is about to walk out of our small tent when I stop her. Lexa looks at me with concerned eyes.

Before she can voice her worries, I step closer to her. "I haven't been able to do this in a while."

I kiss her gently, my hands going to her waist. Lexa tilts her head and deepens the kiss, her hand gently cupping my jaw.

"Hey, lovebirds!" Octavia says. We pull apart and of course she's standing right there at the entrance to our tent with an amused smile. "Come on, we have cooked lizard."

I take Lexa's hand and we walk out. "Lizard?" I ask Lexa. "I didn't think any could survive in such a cold place. Aren't they cold-blooded?"

Raven chimes in. "Nice of you two to join us. Lizards are usually cold-blooded though. These..." She trails off, her nose wrinkling. "They have fur but there's no other animal it could possibly be. Here, we have an uncooked one."

"Little beasts crawled into my tent." Indra scowls. "They deserve to be eaten."

I look down at the uncooked thing. It really does look like a lizard. You know, just with fur. And creepy unseeing red eyes. And claws that look seriously sharp and terrifying.

Lexa bites into a cooked piece of another furry lizard and shrugs.

"It is not bad."

Merry Christmas (or holiday if you don't celebrate Christmas) present to you amazing humans is an early extra chapter! I'll still keep my regular schedule, this is just a bonus. Thank you all for reading my stories and stay awesome!