Chapter 10

We walk silently. Clarke and I lead, hand in hand. Octavia is a few paces behind us, but is never far. I am grateful that they both-hopefully-understand the danger they are in.

It breaks my heart to know that they are only here because of me. Because they are my allies. And because if this, they may go to war. War is kind to no man, not is it sympathetic to any widow's pleas. War claims lives, and I fear the day we will know the true casualties.

My dread grows with every step. Clarke seems to pick up on this and gently squeezes my hand. I turn my head to look at her and she smiles. It is not as bright as I would like. She knows that this day could turn out to be one of the worst of our lives.

Though the absolute worst, for me, are when I thought she was dead. That was truly horrible. I hope I never have to go through such a dark place again. Though with our lives, I know that is unrealistic.

I just pray to the gods that she never finds out what that feels like. It would darken the light in her heart. I would wish that pain on no person. Except perhaps the Ice Queen. With all of the misery she had caused, it is easy sometimes to forget that she is in fact human.

I pause. We are close. I have to warn Clarke. I have been warning her our entire journey, but I neglected to reveal one piece of information that could let her know how the Ice Queen is. I do not want her to underestimate her enemy.

Though she is not the type to be so arrogant to do so.

"Lexa?" Clarke's words snap me out of my mind. "Are you okay?"

Octavia seems to understand that I want to speak to her alone, so she stays further back, just out of hearing range. If we speak quietly, of course.

"Yes. It just occurred to me that I did not tell you of one thing." I hesitate. Saying the words make the danger I am putting them in more real. Plus it drags up bad memories.

What happened... it broke me. I acted like I cared for no one while few slipped through the cracks of the walks I built around myself. Anya, Gustus... but they're dead too.

Clarke helps me put myself back together. And I could not be more grateful. I am no longer hiding from my emotions.

"It's okay. If it makes you uncomfortable, you don't have to tell me." Clarke reassures me.

I just give her a smile I did not know existed before her. It is one of pure adoration, of lov-weakness.

"Do not worry about such things. It is just that it brings up memories of a dark time in my life."

"Of course I worry." Clarke takes my other hand in hers. She is silent, letting me gather the words to say.

"When she sent Costia back...her body back, she was missing her head."

Hello again! Sorry I didn't update yesterday... My friend sprung Lindsey Stirling tickets on me (for last night) and I couldn't refuse. It was awesome and I got home at eleven so I didn't have time to write... In case you guys haven't noticed, I try to update every two or three days. Anyways, apologies for yesterday and the long rant. Stay awesome!