Chapter 27

Clarke not only has a handgun pressed against her head, but also has a knife against her throat.

If there were only one of the two, I could help her easily. With both, there's an alarming likelihood that she will end up injured or killed if I try anything.

Seeing her scared expression breaks my heart. I would do anything to never see it again.

"Now that your... pet is subdued, how about you and I talk?" The Ice Queen asks.

I turn to face her. She seems calm, but I can see the happiness in her eyes. She finally has me where she wants me. I will do anything, anything to make sure that Clarke lives.

"What do you want?" I growl out. With the current circumstance, I cannot force myself to be pleasant. Especially not to her.

"Now, is that any way to speak to your future wife?"

I remain silent, seething with anger. If I refuse her, she may give the order to kill Clarke.

I will die before any harm will come to her.

"Lexa, whatever she wants, don't do it. I'm not worth it," she croaks.

I meet Clarke's beautiful blue eyes. A small line of blood trickles down her throat. Speaking must have nicked her neck.

"You are worth it to me, Clarke."

She smiles. It is not a happy smile. A tear slips down her face and her lip trembles. "Your freedom is worth dying for."

"My life would not be worth living if you were not in it."

It all seems very cliche, but it is the truth. She is the light of my life, bringing me from the dark. The fiery heat, melting my icy heart. She is more beautiful than a goddess, and I do not know what I have ever done to deserve her.

Now that she is in my life, there is no way I could breathe properly if I did not know she is safe. Her happiness and safety is worth protecting.

"Come with me." The Ice Queen demands. "Back to my castle. I might have to give you to a trainer, but you will love me as much as I love you soon. You'll forget this child. Come."

"Only if you let Clarke go."

I am still staring into her gorgeous eyes as they widen with horror.

"Lexa, no," she breathes.

Her eyes are pleading, but I have made my choice.

"How do I know that the pair of you won't just run off if I release her?"

I drop my weapons on the ground and kick them away from me. I meet her eyes again, silently begging her to understand.

Her tears are flowing freely and my chest tightens at the sight. I am once again causing her pain.

I put my arms behind my back, knowing she probably has handcuffs or something. Instead, she steps behind me. She is close. Too close. I can feel her breath against my ear. She grabs hold of my wrists.

I could get out of this hold, but I could let the woman I love die. And that cannot happen again. I could hardly bear to lose Costia, and I feel more for Clarke than I ever did for her.

The Ice Warrior tosses away the gun and pulls the knife away. Before Clarke can launch herself at me like I can tell she desperately wants to, he kicks the inside of her knee. She cries out, her face twisting in pain.

She falls to her knees, gasping for air.

"Come on, love," the Ice Queen croons. "Let's go."

Clarke looks up at me. I have never seen such determination in her eyes.

The Ice Queen leads me away from her. I keep my head turned toward her until she is blocked by trees.

"I'll find you, Lexa!" Clarke yells. "I swear I'll get you back!"

I try to stop my body from shaking, but it does not listen.

"I know you have one of their communications devices," the Ice Queen says casually. "You can talk one last time to them before you start your new life in my castle."

She lets go of one of my wrists. Her Ice Warrior catches up to us. Even I am no match for one when unarmed. I grab the radio.

"Raven?" I say quietly.

"Yeah, what's up, Commander?"

"You need to get Clarke. She is in a clearing in the woods. And, please..." I pause, looking up at the sky, trying to keep my eyes dry. I cannot cry in front of my enemies. "Tell Clarke I love her."