Chapter 20

"You are certainly going to declare war now, right?" A leader questions. It sounds more like a statement.

"No." The other leaders gasp. "These attacks were directed towards me, not my people. I am replaceable." I see Clarke frown at my words out of the corner of my eye. I stare directly into the Ice Queen's eyes as I say my next words. "If you ever harm Clarke or one of our people again..." I trail off, letting their minds full in the blank.

Let me just say it will not be pleasant. And may involve torture.

"Whatever, Lexa." The Ice Queen has the nerve to wink at me before she walks away, followed by her many personal guards.

My mouth is pressed into a thin line. I told her not to call me that. As if she would listen to anyone but herself and the madness she spews.

If I never see her again it would be too soon.

I stand, holding out my hand to help Clarke up. She flashes me a grateful smile and we leave without a word.

"Why is that crazy bitch so obsessed with you?" Octavia questions once we are in the forest.

"I have no idea."

I feel myself relaxing once I am once again away from the politics and madness of the others. The fact that Clarke is still holding my hand is calming me down as well.

Those old fools are selfish and bathed in unnecessary luxury. There is no reason for us to eat feasts while our people starve.

"How old is she?" Octavia playfully kicks a rock and I fight a scowl as it hits me in the shoulder.

"I am not sure. I have known her since I first became Commander and she has not seemed to age a day."

"Maybe she's immortal," Octavia wiggles her fingers dramatically when I look back at her.

"Perhaps," I shrug.

"How long have you been Commander?" Clarke asks.

"How long have you been eighteen?" Octavia mocks, making her voice deeper and raspier.

"I am not eighteen, I am nineteen." Is this yet another reference I do not get? Clarke and Octavia burst out in giggles. It probably is a reference. "I have been Commander since I was ten, so nine years."

I feel a tug in my hand and notice that Clarke and Octavia have both stopped.

"You've been Commander since you were ten?" I cannot tell if Octavia is horrified, impressed, or a mix of the two.

"It is something I was born to be, and the former Commander died suddenly. The elders tracked their spirit to me. Anya and Indra helped me with my duties for the first year or so."

"No wonder you weren't fazed by the assassins." Octavia murmurs.

Clarke grimaces as though she just though of something incredibly unpleasant. "When was your first assassination attempt?"

"When I was first sworn in, a man attempted to shoot me with a crossbow."

"You were ten? And they tried to kill you?" Clarke is squeezing my hand pretty hard. I am not sure if she notices, though I am impressed by her strength.

Oooh a backstory for Lexa!!! Hopefully it doesn't suck. And this (of course) isn't the entire backstory!!! We're getting close to the fun part! Maybe. I'm writing this chapter by chapter but it might be soon! :) Thanks for reading and stay awesome!!