Chapter 57

Lexa's POV

My father laughs and grins widely. He sticks out his hand and they shake. Clarke is moving automatically with a confused expression.

"You never said that she is this pretty!" My father comments, smiling at her. "You two look good together. It is nice to meet you."

Clarke squeezes my hand and looks much more comfortable, though still a bit on edge. "Thank you, sir. It's great to meet you, too."

"Do not bother calling me sir. Welcome to the family, Clarke of the Sky People."

"Who are those two?" Mother asks.

"That is Raven, a mechanic. She is good with technology."

"I blew up a bridge once."

"Which we had to fix." Raven flushes sheepishly. "That is Octavia, who is training under Indra. She is a good warrior."

Mother looks shocked. "Indra is mentoring her? If I remember correctly, she does not train anyone."

"She has mentored very few, and all have turned into great fighters."

"Interesting." Mother seems impressed by them. "And Clarke has been leading our people in your absence?"

"Not leading, no. I've been commanding both of our people in this war. Indra has spoken on your people's behalf. I lead my people." Clarke explains.

"Ah. Have there been many battles?" My father asks.

He has that twinkle on his eye, the one most of my people have. It is the yearning to fight, to defeat enemies.

"Only one so far. The Ice People came as we slept. We didn't expect them so soon. We lost many, but they lost more."

"Did you kill the warrior that injured you?" I ask Clarke.

"I killed the bastard," Octavia says. "He was so smug and focused on Clarke, he didn't see my blade, not even when I took his head off."

"But you are okay?" Mother looks like she is concerned about Clarke.

"I'm okay. The bullet just grazed me."

"Bullet?" Mother questions.

"They are little pieces of metal that the Mountain Men use in their guns." I explain.

"Ah. They are allies now, right? The Mountain Men and the Ice People?"

"Not the Ice People, the Ice Queen. The Ice People are not the enemy in this war, it is merely the Ice Queen." I remind her.

"I would like to see that sad excuse for a woman's face when she is killed." Father growls.

"You know that revenge creates rage. Rage makes you sloppy. Sloppy kills. You have both been in that dungeon for years, you are not fit to go onto the battlefield. You both know this."

My mother sighs. "We know, but that does not mean we have to like it. We can retrain out bodies so we can be useful to our people once more."

"Fighting is not the only way to be useful. Clarke is a doctor. Some are farmers. Some are creators. You will find your place." I murmur.

A courier runs up, out of breath. "The Ice Army has fallen back and is surrounding the castle."

"How are we going to get in?" Clarke mutters, frustrated.

I take a deep breath. She will not like this, but... "I have an idea."