Chapter 24

I breathe a sigh of relief once I slide my sword into its sheath, once again it is on my back. I feel more powerful with it with me, like I can take on the world.

I walk to the gate to see Octavia and Lincoln walking in. Both of them are yawning and look like they have not slept all night. Their clothes are askew and they have leaves and twigs all over them.

"Did you get much rest?" I ask them, smiling, as they stumble past me.

Octavia sticks up her middle fingers and mumbles, "Fuck you."

Clarke joins me a moment later, eyeing where Lincoln and Octavia went. "Do you think they got any sleep?"

"Unless you count sleeping together, no," I reply.

"Dude, nice." Raven lifts her hand , grinning. Oh, the "high five" thing. I hit her hand lightly with mine. "What's got you in such a good mood?" She pauses for a second and before I can answer, her eyes widen. "Did you get laid?" I have been around Octavia too much, I understood what Raven said. Clarke's face is red and Raven looks far too happy at the idea of me 'getting laid'. "You totally did!"

"I did not, not that it is any of your business." I grab Clarke's hand, rubbing it softly with my thumb to calm her. I take the basket from her other hand and we walk toward the gate.

"Where are you two going? Lincoln and Octavia's spot?" Raven yells after us.

I think she just enjoys embarrassing Clarke.

"We're going on a picnic, you creep!" Clarke calls back, gesturing for the guards to open the gate.

It creaks open, almost ominously. I shrug off the dark thought and focus on my girlfriend. My girlfriend. She is mine and I am hers.

I press a kiss to her cheek at that happy thought as she leads us through the forest. We walk for an hour in comfortable silence until she stops. We are in a small clearing I have never been to before. And that is saying something. When I was younger, I spent years finding every nook and cranny in this forest.

There is a log in the center and Clarke takes back the basket, whispering a "thank you for carrying that" in my ear before she sets it down near the fallen tree. She pulls out a blanket and sets it on the ground as close to the log as she can get.

I want to help her out but I know that she wants to take charge of this date. So I stand back and wait while she unloads a truly astounding amount of food from such a tiny basket. She sets it all on the log and sits on the blanket, looking back at me with a smile as she pats the spot next to her.

I sit as near to her as I can, our arms brushing with each movement we make.

I smile at her, "This is beautiful, thank you."

She flushes but holds my gaze, looking back at me with those warm blue eyes. "Thank you for being so amazing. I cannot thank you enough for all you've done for me and my people. You're a great person, Lexa, and I love you."

I lean in and kiss her. I am no good with words but I put every ounce of my love for her into this kiss. When she pulls back for breath, I whisper "I love you too." And she gives me a smile that could light up the darkest abyss.

"I got all of this food myself." Clarke tells me proudly. "I caught the meat and I asked Monty to make sure that none of these berries and stuff are poisonous. So we hopefully won't die from eating this food. Hopefully."

"I have faith in you."

She squeezes my hand gently. While we eat, we talk of light things. Octavia and Lincoln. How Raven seems to be getting better at using her brace. How despite Abby's protests, Monty and Jasper started another brewery. And, my personal favorite, puns.

"I like this, deer."

"I love you berry much."

"Olive you."

And so on. Clarke is much wittier than I expected. Those were her puns. Mine were much less... well, much less good.

"Don't be a grass, Clarke."

"One, two, tree eyes on a deer."

"You're not as punny as you think."

I should know better. That this peacefulness would not last.

When Ice warriors burst into the clearing, I know this will not be good.

Actual words that come out of my mouth when I was writing the fluff and thinking about what I'm going to do: "Oh my god I'm so evil." Mwahahaha. Thanks again for reading and stay awesome!!