Chapter 48

Lexa's POV

One guard holds up his hands. "Fine, fine! We'll go!"

"What are you doing, sir?" A young guard whispers.

"This is one of Her Majesty's hand picked advisors. She will not be pleased if we allow him to die just to subdue a prisoner."

The guard's eyes widen in fear and he nods furiously. "We'll leave. You will let him go?"

"Only if you go peacefully. No harming me or the other prisoners." I use my Commander voice and it makes them tremble.

They leave quickly without a glance back at their comrade being held hostage by me.

"I know you won't hurt or betray Clarke." Kane murmurs, rubbing his neck. To keep up the lie, I made sure to hold him tight enough to leave a bruise. "But remember that getting yourself killed would hurt her, too."

He gives me a respectful nod before leaving as well.

"Who is he?" My mother questions. "I heard you call him Kane. Is he an ally?"

I search the ground and pick up two sturdy looking wires.

"Yes, he is. He is one of the Sky People and is on their Council. I do not know how he got in here."

I slide the wires into the locks on one of mother's handcuffs. My hands go through the motions and that hand is free in less than a minute.

"Thank you, Lexa. I trust your judgement. If you think he is a good man, we will treat him as such." My mother says.

I allow myself a small smile as I work on the other cuffs. Mother collapses on the ground once all her bindings are gone. I would worry, but seeing the blissfully happy look on her face reassures me that she is okay.

I work on my father's chains next, watching them fall with a loud clink against the wall. He immediately gathers me into his arms, hugging me tightly.

"Hey, sweetheart." He breathes in my ear. "I'm so proud of you."

I want to ask what exactly he is proud of, but I want to revel in this moment more. Mother stands on shaky legs and hugs us, too.

"Hello, dear. It's nice to have non painful human contact again."

I pull away and let them have a moment. They stand, in an enemy's dungeon where they have been held and tortured for years, crying with happiness.

I cannot say that their show of emotions is weakness. In fact, they look stronger than ever in my eyes.

My parents turn to me, staying close to each other.

"Sorry we have not had much time to talk. Maybe once we get out of this horrid palace we will find the time." Father says.

"Let us just focus on getting out before anything else. Kane will help us and most likely come with us, but we will need to find a way to escape."