Chapter 31

Clarke's POV

Mom takes my suggestion to hold an election seriously, to my despair. Every man and woman and other old enough to work all have to vote on having her as their Chancellor or me as their leader.

It takes days. Agonizing days because I am unable to reach out to the Grounders and call for a meeting because Mom refuses to allow me to until the voting is done. And by refuses, I mean that I'm dragged away from the gate by some very large strong guards who are very apologetic for their actions.

"How long is this going to take?" Octavia groans, sitting down on a chair in the mechanic's area.

Raven, Octavia and I have kept each other sane these past few days. We're all itching to do something, anything to get Lexa back.

A radio crackles and a voice comes through, telling us to go to the gathering place in front of the Ark.

I groan quietly, knowing it's probably another speech from my mother about some political thing that literally no one but her and Kane care about.

"... The results are in!" Mom says, smiling widely at the crowd. "Clarke, come on up here and I'll read the results!" I climb up onto the makeshift platform and stand beside my mother, watching the assembled crowd as they anxiously shift. It's either from anticipation or they want it get back to work. It seems like everyone is here. "The winner is..." She frowns as she reads the small piece of paper in her hands. "Clarke. Congratulations, it seems as though you are the true leader."

The crowd cheers and mom gives me a grin so bright, it has to be fake. I know she really didn't think that our people like me more than her.

I give a little bow that makes some chuckle and head back to the mechanic's area to plan.

Raven and Octavia stayed back, but no doubt heard my mother and what she said. Though when I walk in, their faces are pale and grave.

"Clarke." Raven gives me a look that tells me this is not going to be good. "We just got word from our source inside the Mountain that they've teamed up with the Ice Nation."