Chapter 52

Lexa's POV

"How did you get in here?" I ask Kane. The Ice Queen sent him in here, most likely to check up on us.

"Through the front door. The village our people helped on the outskirts of the Ice Nation was kind enough to give me clothes so I wouldn't stand out so much. They let me in and I explained to the Queen that I wanted to become her consort. She asked me questions about hypothetical scenarios and then hired me."

"Impressive." My father nods at him respectfully.

"Thank you, sir." Kane turns his attention on me. "Clarke has been doing incredibly well leading us, but I know she'll want you back as soon as possible."

"Do you have a plan to get us out of here?" I ask, making sure to enunciate us so he understands I'm not leaving my parents behind.

"Yes, I do. Though I did not plan for me to be getting anyone other than you out, it should still work. Who are they to you?"

"They are my parents." I respond, watching his reaction. He seems surprised, but does not question the matter further.

"Alright. Just put these cloaks on and follow me. Keep your heads down and act like servants."

I pull on the cloak, a dark brown one that reminds me of the day Clarke and I ran away from one of my villages that was about to explode.

I hunch over and stare at the ground. My parents put on their cloaks and we follow Kane. He looks around for a moment to make sure that no one is in the hallway to see us.

I shuffle behind him as he leads us and use Kane's feet as a guide so I know where I am going. We are stopped at the front door by a guard.

"Halt. Kane, you know Her Majesty doesn't want anyone to come in or out of her castle."

"I am here on her orders. Let us pass. Unless you would like me to go get Her Majesty and explain to her why I won't be on time?"

The guard shifts nervously and I cannot see his face, but I bet he is white as the snow outside. "Go ahead. Just forget this conversation ever happened, please."

"What conversation?" Kane asks good-naturedly and the guard laughs nervously.

"That was surprisingly easy." I murmur once we walk out of the castle.

"Yes, it was but the guards have learned to both fear and respect me. Stay down while we're in the city, only when we're walking through the icy desert should you ever show your face. Clarke is a three days walk from here. We'll need to go into the city and get supplies before we leave."

Kane gets everything easily, the people already know and love him. He puts all of the supplies into one pack.

"I will carry it," I say. "My parents are weak from years of being in there and I am stronger than you."

It didn't end on much of a cliffhanger but on the bright side, there's going to be a Lexa and Clarke reunion soon! Or is there? (Mwa hahaha) Thank you beautiful humans for reading and stay awesome!