Chapter 6

"Did either of you bring anything?" Octavia asks once we've been walking for a while.

"I have my swords and emergency equipment," I shrug, not giving the conversation my full attention.

"For f u c k s sake," Octavia groans. "Don't worry, I brought stuff."

I listen to the chittering of the birds and the rustle of the leaves as the wind blows through them. Something feels off. I think we are being watched. Over the years I have learned to trust that prickling sensation.

I tap Octavia and squeeze Clarke's hand which hasn't left mine since we left their camp. Octavia gives me an annoyed look and Clarke just looks curious.

I keep a straight face and raise my eyebrows for only a second. It is a silent code we developed a while back to tell the others that the person thinks their unit is being watched or tracked. They both nod, their expressions grim.

I hope I am wrong. I want to believe there is a raccoon nearby or perhaps a deer, but I know that is not what is following us.

"So Octavia, how is Lincoln?" I try to distract them from the prying eyes. I do not want the staplers to know that we know what they are doing. And Octavia always jumps at the chance to swoon over him. It is sweet, yet almost disturbing how well those two go together. Like blood and a dagger.

I rub my thumb in circles over the back of Clarke's hand. It succeeds in distracting her.

"Oh God, Lincoln's great!" she gushes. "He's really nice and sweet, but at the same time muscly and sexy. Speaking of which, he's really good in bed. He does this thing where-"

"Please do not elaborate." I grimace. I have never found men appealing. They are too rough, too hardened for my taste. Knowing how a man and a woman has inter course is high on my list of thing I never want to know.

I understand that Clarke likes men as well as women, and I also understand that she gave herself to a man who was not who she thought he was. I know he hurt her, though she does not want to admit it. I want more than anything for her to know that I will never hurt her like he did. I would swear to her on my dying breath.

"Should we set up camp, bosses?" Octavia drawls.

She smirks at us and begins to build a tent. Clarke kisses my cheek and let's go of my hand to go help her. I feel a smile creep its way onto my face. I set up a mental perimeter of where we will have to patrol and manage to catch a rabbit as it tries to scurry past. I read in a story once that they used to hop. But that's impossible, at least now. Now they are the size of a small child with the legs of a wolf. I quickly kill it and make my way back to them.

Once we get a fire started to ward away the cold, I hear a rustling that definitely did not come from a beast. I unsheathe my sword but before I can even investigate, we are surrounded.