Chapter 51

Clarke's POV   WARNING! VIOLENCE

My eyes immediately find my mother, who's hiding behind someone that's fighting off three Ice Warriors. I head there, cutting every enemy in reach with practiced swings of my sword. My training with Lexa wasn't just an excuse to see her, after all.

I thrust my sword into the first attacker and watch them fall to the ground, clutching their bleeding abdomen. They won't live long, I hit an artery.

"Get her out of here and keep her safe. If you see Raven, keep her safe too." I order the soldier. She nods and begins escorting mom away from the battlefield.

It's amazing, how far the Ice Warriors traveled in less than a day. They don't seem tired at all. Their familiarity with the land may have been an advantage, or perhaps there's a shortcut here that the scouts couldn't find.

The other two attackers focus on me and raise their weapons. One has a spear, the other a curved sword.

The spear stabs toward me and I dodge, swiping my sword to hit the wooden part. The wood is much tougher than I thought and my sharp sword doesn't even make a dent.

The sword person moves fast and tries to stab me in the stomach. I dodge and stab them in the stomach. They fall to their knees, gurgling.

An elbow hits my back and I stumble forward, causing the spear to lightly scrape my face. I move to the side to see who jabbed me. It was Bellamy, of course. He's grunting and fighting a few Ice Warriors. He gives me an apologetic smile before refocusing on his fight.

I turn my attention back to the spear and our weapons come together with a thunk. I press forward hard and the spear is getting almost too close to its wielder. I know this pushing contest won't go anywhere. I shove hard and they step back, trying to regain their balance. I thrust my sword toward their heart, but they fall and is end up cutting into their neck.

I wince as blood sprays out before dripping down my victim's corpse. Now I definitely am covered in blood and probably look like death herself.

I survey the camp quickly, trying not to look at any faces on the bodies littering the ground. We seem to be winning. As Lexa says, in war, no one wins. That certainly seems true now.

An Ice Warrior shouts out something in their language and they begin to retreat. They grab the wounded least likely to die and run.

I feel like I'm covered in a thick layer of filth that I won't be able to wash off with the strongest waterfall.

Indra walks up to me, limping slightly and frowning. "That was quick. And there weren't many of them."

"I noticed that too," Octavia says.

"Why do you think that is?" I ask, leading them back to the war tent.

A gunshot rings out and I jolt in pain.