Chapter 59

Lexa's POV

The warriors tense as I near them and I raise my chin defiantly. They glance between me and my prisoners with skeptical eyes.

The leader of the group steps forward. "Heda. Why are you here? We will be forced to attack if you get too close."

I pull on the chain, making my prisoners stumble. Indra swears in Trigedasleng.

"I did not come to fight. But if your warriors provoke me, I will not hesitate to slaughter you all."

"Of course. My squadron will flank you and your prisoners as I lead you to the Castle so no others will try to stop you. Right this way."

I nod and walk beside him. He is nervous. My earlier threat must have scared him.

He knocks on the giant door covering the entrance. It opens a crack and an eye widens when it sees me.

It quickly shuts again.

"My Lady, you will want to come to the door!" The person yells fearfully, their voice shaking.

I hear an annoyed huff and footsteps before the Ice Queen herself opens the door. She smirks when she sees me.

"Lexa." I fight the urge to shout and remind her that she is to never call me that after all she has done. "I knew you would come crawling back." She peers past me, her grin widening. "And I see you brought guests. Come in." The Ice Queen leads me to her throne room, sitting on her crystal throne. When I was younger she told me that it is made of crystal because it resembles ice. "What is this? Why have you brought me some Sky People and a general of yours?"

"The Sky People are of no further use to me. They are an invasive nuisance. I have brought them as an offering. They would make excellent sacrifices."

The Sky People tense, rattling the chain. I turn and hush them. Clarke's eyes are big and fearful. I beg myself not to break.

"Lexa?" Gods, her voice is so small. I feel like I am grinding her down with my heel. "Are you really going to kill us?"

"Yes."

Raven explodes. "What the fuck! We trusted you! Why would you betray us AGAIN after all our people have been through together? You have tolerated us, our presence! We helped you save your people! You've saved Clarke's life multiple times!"

"She's doing what she has to." Octavia murmurs.

"ExcUSE me?" Raven growls.

"She's a leader, Raven. War has casualties. Why lead her own people to their deaths when she can kill us and save her people's?"

Raven mutters words too explicit to repeat.

"Lexa." Clarke is pleading. Gods, I hate myself for putting her through this. "Please, please don't do this! This isn't the way! We can win this war together!" I do not respond and her eyes fill with tears. "Please, Lexa, I love you!"

I look her in the eyes. "I know." I keep my face straight with a dead expression.

Clarke cries silently, tears streaming down her face as she stares at me with disbelief and utter hopelessness.