Chapter 22

Clarke's mother rushes up to us as soon as we get inside the gates.

She cups Clarke's face and turns it back and forth, studying her daughter intently.

"You said it was a meeting. Why did it take this long?" Abby demands, worry evident in the tenseness of her shoulders.

"The other leaders are more of politicians and enjoy taking their time," I explain.

"I didn't ask you," she snaps. I stand quietly, knowing that she is only being rude because she is concerned for her daughter. Chancellor Abby pales when she sees the dark bruise coloring her daughter's face from the assassin. "Are you okay?" She turns to me and glares. "What did you do?"

"She didn't hurt me." Clarke steps back, letting her mother's outstretched arm fall to her side.

I reach out and grab Clarke's hand, rubbing my thumb gently across her skin. She seems agitated and tired. I would bet my life she does not want to deal with her mother's open hatred for me at the moment. And I do not blame her. The past few days have been extremely draining for her.

"Who did?" Clarke's mother is still glaring at me, silently blaming me with her eyes.

"Can we not talk about this here? Or now?"

I begin to lead her towards the Ark, intent on letting her rest. Chancellor Abby reaches out and grabs Clarke's wrist.

"Who hurt you?"

"Chancellor, please. She is exhausted, we can talk soon."

"Where do you think you're going, then? You're definitely not going to sleep next to my daughter, you could take advantage of her like you did our trust," she snarls.

"Hey," Octavia has a look on her face that tells me she is trying to refrain from punching her Chancellor in the face. Why is she so angry? Is it because she's holding Clarke's wrist too tight? "Let her go."

She looks down at where the skin of her hand has turned white from gripping her daughter too hard. She mumbles out an apology and lets go.

"I didn't like the Commander at first either. I didn't trust her and frankly I thought she was setting us up to break Clarke's heart again. But she didn't. This woman helped us, and she didn't have to. She got fucking stabbed trying to save your daughter. And you cannot stand here and tell me they don't love each other. It's almost sickening to be around them sometimes with the heart eyes and the cutesy words. They slept in the same bed at TonDC, but nothing happened. No one is taking advantage of anyone in that relationship. I don't know what your problem is, but it shouldn't be with the Commander."

Raven pokes Octavia in the side, grinning widely and gives her what Clarke has informed me is a "high five".

Clarke's mother storms off, back into the Ark with a huff.

"Thank you," I tell Octavia.

"No problem. Sorry for blowing up at your mom, Princess, but she's being completely unreasonable."

I cock an eyebrow at Clarke, smirking. "Princess?"

Clarke groans and glares at Octavia, who is laughing with Raven. Lincoln comes up behind Octavia and wraps his arms around her, pressing his lips to her cheek.

She turns her head until they start kissing.

I still do not see the appeal of kissing men, but that is just me.

"Get a room, you two." Raven snickers.

"Perhaps they will go to the forest again. If you do, please try to be quieter. We can all hear you both screaming." I say.

Octavia and Lincoln part, blushing.

"No promises," Octavia's eyes are dancing with glee as she pulls him away. The guards open the gate for them with clear discomfort on their faces.

Clarke pulls on my hand. I press a kiss to her cheek before walking along side her back to her room.

I freeze for a moment at the door. Her bed is hardly big enough for two. Maybe I should sleep on the floor again. I look around for a spare blanket.

"Oh no you don't." Clarke steers me toward the bed.

"I can sleep on the floor," I offer.

"We can share the bed."

"We have to be nearly sleeping on top of each other to fit," I point out nervously.

"I like to cuddle."

"I don't want to make you uncomfortable..."

"And you're not. Come on."

She gives me that pleading look she has learned will make me do anything she says. I can deny her nothing.

"Very well."

Clarke gives me a wide grin and digs in a wardrobe, pulling out clothes. As soon as she begins to take off her shirt, I flush and turn away.

"I'm done, you can look now." I turn to see Clarke in a nearly see through white shirt and incredibly short shorts. I think my brain shut off at the sight. She is gorgeous. "Do you need sleep clothes?"

I shake my head mutely. She shrugs.

I get into the bed, underneath the cool covers. She slides in and wraps her arms around my waist, snuggling into me and tangling our legs together.

Hello! Long chapter for you guys!! A lot longer than I meant for it to be, but oh well. Thank you guys for reading and stay awesome!!!