Pick One (Feat. Brett Talbot)

Comenzar desde el principio

"So we'll play for your heart," Brett pulled me out of my thoughts as he stood next to Liam with his arms crossed tight to his chest. "Create some sort of challenge, lacrosse, weights, track, or whatever," Brett suggested. "And who ever wins, wins you."

My eyes shifted between Brett and Liam. I bit my lip as I looked down at my Converse. I couldn't believe Brett even suggested this. I honestly didn't know what to do. I had never been in this situation before. I needed advice and I knew exactly who to ask. My eyes shifted back to Liam. "What do you think about this, Liam?"

"I think Brett is stupid," Liam said honestly.

"Hey!" Brett snapped back.

Before he could even add a smart-ass remark, Liam continued, "If you knew Y/N at all, you would know she would never test us. She would never play us like that just to figure out who she should pick. This isn't something she can decide by who runs the fastest, can bench more, has the better body or good looks." Liam shook his head, "No, this is something she needs to figure out. She needs to sort out her feelings and realize what her heart wants."

"Damn," Brett's arms left his chest and his shoulders slumped forward.

"What?" Liam looked back at Brett with his eyebrows scrunched forward.

"I think you just won...." Brett's voice was traced with defeat.

I let out a deep sigh before I shook my head. I felt warm tears pooling in my eyes. I couldn't believe I was in this situation. I know they didn't do this on purpose; falling in love with someone can't be controlled. The heart wants what the heart wants, but the million-dollar question was 'what does my heart want?'

"I... uh... umm..." I looked down at my thumbs fumbling with each other.

Liam's hand covered mine, causing me to look up. "It's okay, take your time." Liam nodded. "I'm not rushing you and I don't think Brett will either."

Brett agreed with Liam as he nodded his head.

"Okay," I whispered as I walked away and didn't look back.

Over the next two weeks, I avoided Liam and Brett to sort out my feelings. It wasn't easy. I often daydreamed of different scenarios to see who I imagined myself with, which somehow felt wrong. I couldn't picture who I pictured myself with. I needed to figure out what my heart wanted. I didn't know what my heart wanted and I was in need of some serious advice.

My knuckles rapped on my mother's bedroom door.

"Come in!" She called out.

I opened the door and leaned against it. Her face faltered as she looked at me. "Honey, what's wrong?"

"I don't know what to do," I managed to squeak before I sobbed.