twenty four

that fact that lauren loved her scared her. this isnt good. she never wanted lauren to fall for her, part of her was hoping that their relationship was just a fling, but she knew that was not going to happen. she wanted something with lauren, who was she kidding herself.

"just a fling?" dinah scoffed. "you guys have known each other for almost a year, and even then when were just friends, something was going on."

the other girl sighed, pulling on her hair. "i don't know. i want to love but i'm scared. it's gonna make it so much harder."

dinah looked up at her friend with sympathetic eyes. she knew how she was feeling and how hard this is on her.

camila grabbed her pills and quickly took them calm her nerves. just then her phone rang, she answered it was number she didn't recognize but she figured it was lauren but when lauren was at the office or at something work related, she'd call on different numbers.

"hey babe." camila answered with a smile.

"i'm not your babe." camila frowned. this voice was definitely not lauren's. this one was much darker.

"vanessa?" her eyebrows furrowed. "how'd you get my number?" out of the corner if her eye, camila could see dinah with a confused look on her face.

"doesn't matter." vanessa smiled. "anyway. as you may know, i know your secret and i'm gonna tell lauren... that's if you don't stop seeing her."

camila scoffed. "you know nothing about me. my name isn't that hard."

"i have your hospital records, camila."

camila froze. she couldn't? how could she? was she just bluffing? was she just trying to get camila admit a dirty secret so she can run off and tell lauren, or does truly have her dirty secret?

"very interesting stuff, i must say," vanessa continued. camila could hear papers flipping. "so interesting, i think lauren should know this. right? this isn't the type of thing you keep from someone you love." camila could hear the smirk on vanessa's voice.

"what do you want vanessa?" brown eyes sneered.

"give me back what's mine." she said bluntly into the phone.

"she's not a puppy." lauren's girlfriend rolled her. "she's not going to instantly crawl back to you."

"we all know lauren loves me, still does. i knew you were in that closet that one day. i'm not stupid. did you notice how lauren couldn't tell me that you were there?" vanessa was indeed smirking. "she still loves me, its on her face. she's not letting me go just yet... have a nice day camila."

vanessa hung up, leaving camila more pissed then she's ever been in her life.

"what was that all about?" dinah asked her friend about the strange phone call she just had.

camila shrugged. "uh, just one of those random computer calls." she lied.

dinah hummed, shrugging it off.

camila sighed quietly in relief when dinah asked no further questions. now the only question left is: what is she going to do?

-

lauren typed away on her phone while she waited for her mom to enter the restaurant.

"lauren!" she heard her name, picking up her head.

"mom!" lauren's face instantly lit up, standing up to hug her mom. "i missed you so much." she smiled

"i missed you too lauren." her mom smiled into her hair. "congratulations on your award, your dad and brother and sister are so proud of you."

"i know," lauren said pulling away. "i got a huge paragraph from taylor last night, talking about how happy she was for me." she lightly chucked.

"what can we say? we're proud of our little lauren." clara smirked, looking through the menu.

lauren did the same, waiting for the next topic to come up. soon, the waiter came and they ordered their drinks along with their meals for the afternoon.

"so this girl you've been hanging with..." clara started, a hint of teasing showed in her eyes.

the singer playfully rolled her own orbs. "what about her mom?"

"you just admitted to loving this girl and yet we've never met her." lauren's mom shrugged.

lauren shrugged. "it's been kinda complicated."

"you should bring her by on saturday, we're having a family dinner."

lauren took a sip of her water that she had no idea was there. "sure, i'll ask her."

"hopefully she's nothing like that vanessa." clara said with some obvious disgust in her tone.

lauren laughed. now that she had stranger, it didnt really bother her when people said rude things about vanessa. it was obvious that vanessa wasn't everyones favorite but somehow lauren found herself drawn to her.

after lunch, lauren said goodbye to her mom and promised that her and camila would be there on Saturday for dinner. to get things out of the way, a pulled out her cell and called her girlfriend as she got in the car.

"hi." she answered.

lauren dismissed the dryness, "hey babe, what are you doing saturday?"

"i have a shift at my mom's. why?"

"i just had lunch with my mom and she invited us over for dinner on saturday? do you want me to pick you up at seven-ish?"

"lauren," brown eyes started. "i don't think that's a good idea."

the older girl's eyebrows knitted together. "what do you mean?"

"i think we should end things."

lauren swore she felt her heart stop, she had to remind herself to keep breathing. "what? what are you talking about?"

"we're moving too fast, i'm sorry." camila said lowly into the phone.

"is it because i said that i loved you? because-"

"yes." camila quickly said. "im just not ready. i don't think i love you." there was a short silence over the phone. "i have to go lauren, i'm sorry. but it's better to get this out of the way than to do it later. congrats on the award and i hope you win many more."

the conversation went too fast for lauren's liking. her mind was still trying to process what just happened.

did camila just end things before they barely even started?