Chapter 33: Dinner

Start from the beginning

"Where do you want to start?" Aasif asks, his words yearning for sleep.

I look up to overpowering conifers clothed in snow in every direction and completely stop to just inhale everything in. The sky is a light blue but so clear. There are almost little to no sounds of wildlife but there was so much more to listen to. And it was everything.

I walk a little with Aasif until we find a clear area.

"Here."

And we're off.

The trees sprint by and I smile at the feeling of flying along the completely deserted pathway. No one came here, which is precisely why I chose this location. It was completely free.

The wind crawls it's nails along my face but it ultimately becomes a blessing when I start heating up. The first couple of minutes are the most eventful until eventually, I vaguely feel my feet moving under me and my throat clogging up. Half and hour passes and I am burning now but I never stop. Aasif seems to have slowed down because I don't see him beside me anymore.

But I don't look back.

I focus ahead at the endless existence of branches and trees. The air is so pure in it's contents. I sense everything I had been thinking about slip away behind me as I force myself to move faster. I almost feel like I am running away from those thoughts, but not as a coward. I let the smell of nature consume me. I let the roots scrape at my shoes and the oncoming wind force me back. I continue driving my feet harder and harder until my heart is pounding like it needs to be freed.

I knew now more than ever that Adam was right.

I needed those things in that box.

I've been getting better.

Not entirely in a mental aspect, but physically, I can see it almost directly.

And for that, I will be forever grateful.

I zoom past the huge waterfall colliding into a pool of water. Eventually my feet give away, and I sit in the cold grass while gasping for air. I smile at how good that felt while greedily gulping down water. Aasif eventually runs to where I am and we both listen to the violent dropping of water in front of us.

"You're an animal," he comments and we both burst out laughing.

"Not my fault your longer legs can't catch up," I push him over.

He just nods like he does when he's embarrassed and shakes his head in amusement before putting his mouth on the water bottle.

The echo of water takes over my ears and I suddenly remember something.

"So why'd you decide to come back?" I ask the question I've been longing to ask for a long time. It was never the right time to ask, so I decided to dive into it now.

He goes quiet and I watch his eyes roaming around. From this angle, I can see exactly how identical to my father he looks. And I have to look away quickly before I think too far again.

"Answer the question Aasif," I whisper while making circles in the little pile of snow by my side.

He forcefully chucks the empty bottle in a distance and begins to get up to leave. I watch as he dusts himself off before leaving me alone. I stare at his back disappearing away before getting to my feet to run after him.

He doesn't say anything so I don't push him further while we drive back home. As soon as we come inside the house, we see mama standing by a table of food but he dismisses the sight to go into his room. I shrug at mama's confused look and sit beside her. I want to go up to talk to him but never do. Instead, I manage to eat more food, even though I had eaten only a couple of hours ago.