Kristin: Cursed?

(Previously: After Kristin’s Grams passes away she goes home alone and gets a visit from Derek who leaves when Tane arrives. Kristin asks Tane to hold off on “the talk” and he agrees.)

Before Derek returned to Beacon Hills my life was simple and uncomplicated. Well apart from the occasional dream or flashback involving Derek, but it was easy to shake those off and move on cramming them in the darkest corner of my mind, but of course Derek being back is making it impossible to ignore anything. As much as I don’t want to admit it. I know Tane and I are over and I’m just prolonging the inevitable but I’ve already lost Grams and I don’t want to lost Tane just yet. I do still love him but it’s getting harder every day to ignore my feelings for Derek.
Maybe I should ditch men altogether and join a convent. Whoopi Goldberg made it look like fun and guys aren’t that great. I mean they smell great and look great, well usually but most of the time they are just annoying and like torturing you with their disappearing and returning acts. They are like the worst type of magician.
God damn it! I try not to sigh out loud. The last thing I want to do is wake Tane who seems to be in a deep sleep despite my tossing and turning for the past hour and a half. It’s been a few days since my Grams passed and if I’m not thinking about her and trying to hold back the tears than my thoughts are being consumed by Derek and his stupid perfectly symmetric face.
Maybe I should try counting sheep, it might literally bore me to sleep. It’s worth a try.
1 sheep
. . .
32 sheep
. . .
56 sheep
. . .
73 sheep
. . .

“Wake up!” I hear Tane’s voice and feel the cold chill as it wraps itself around me covering every inch of my skin. As I open my eyes I notice I’m not in my bed or even in my house. Instead I’m in the woods and my eyes instantly try to adjust to the darkness.
“Tane?” I call out as I stand to my feet and wipe off the dirt and leaves clinging to my Betty Boop shorts and T-shirt, as well as my dark hair. Why am I here? I don’t want to be here! This is where I encountered the alpha and was nearly killed as well as where I shot Derek with the arrow.
“Tane!” I yell again as I continue to search my surroundings wondering if the alpha is going to make an appearance.
That could be fun.
“Why?” Tane’s voice echoes all around me although I can’t see him or anything for that matter. The small amount of moon light is barely helping, all I can manage to make out is the trees.
Is he at the top of a tree or something?
What is going on?
“Why what, where are you?” I ask in frustration as my eyes search the tree tops but Tane is hiding out of sight from me.
“Why Derek and not me?” Tane’s voice starts dripping with venom and my body cringes instantly. This is exactly what I don’t want to talk about because honestly I don’t even know why myself. Well it’s complicated. It doesn’t help that Derek is acting like he ignored me for my own good. I was angry but now I’m just confused.
It also doesn’t help that a part of me knows Derek is right and that Phoebe is Tane’s mate. I’ve been blissfully living in denial and I can’t keep holding onto Tane when he already belongs to someone else. I have to stop being an idiot and let go don’t I?
“I’m not choosing Derek, but it doesn’t matter because you are meant to be with Phoebe.” I reply.
“I leave for a few days and you run off to him?” Tane ignores my comment about Phoebe and I feel the frustration begin to grow in my chest.
Is he really going to ignore everything I say?
“That’s right you left, you ran away not me!” I yell waiting for Tane to finally show his face. This is just getting ridiculous.
At least the cold chill is gone, maybe I should try walking away. I wonder how far I will get before Tane finally shows his face.
“I didn’t think you would run back to Derek. He practically threw you away yet you are still in love with him aren’t you?” I can hear the pain in Tane’s voice and the guilt starts to weigh me down.
This is ridiculous.
“It’s always been him and it will always be him. I don’t know why I even bothered.” Tane seethes as a sudden gust of wind picks up and the moonlight disappears completely leaving me in the dark.
Is this the part where the alpha attacks and rips out my throat?
“You’re wrong it will not always be Derek okay!!! Stop acting childish and show yourself.” I demand as the wind dies down completely although I’m still standing in the darkness and my fight response kicks in ready for whatever is about to come my way.
I’m hoping for a fight.