Derek: Harsh But Necessary

(Previously: Derek gets released from jail and goes to the empty field to find Jackson with Scott’s glove. Derek suspects that Jackson might be a problem. Belle asks Derek to train her and Derek has no choice but to agree. After Belle leaves Tina arrives and Derek lets her in on one condition: she is not to harm Kristin in any way or get someone else to hurt her.)

Tina spent most the night crying about Tane and how he was going to be mad at her for a long time. The rest of the night consisted of Tina apologising and trying to convince me to wipe the slate clean between us, blaming her behaviour on the mate bond she swears she has for me. If it’s true it explains a lot, but I don’t know what to believe.
“Thank you for letting me stay and I hope you will think about it, us being friends again,” Tina forces a smile as we stand on the front porch although I can see the pain in her eyes. It’s not uncommon for a werewolf to feel the mate bond towards another werewolf who doesn’t return the bond. It doesn’t mean Tina is doomed to be alone. It just means she has to truly let go and reject the bond before she can move on.
Letting go is the hardest part.
“I don’t really do the whole friend thing anymore,” I make sure to sound distant like I don’t care about being lonely, as if it doesn’t bother me in the slightest. I’ve said the lie so often that I sound 100% convincing and I watch as the shock registers on Tina’s face.
“You can’t be serious? We need to stick together, we need each other to survive.”
“You may need me but I don’t need you or anyone for that matter.”
“So why listen to me talk all night?” Tina’s eyes are demanding and searching for any hint that I’m lying, but of course I give her nothing.
“Who said I was listening?” I make sure my face is cold and empty of any emotion. When are they going to learn they are better off without me?
The only reason I invited Tina into my home and listened to her all night was because she promised to never hurt Kristin again if I didn’t send her away. Now I’m wishing I had sent her away. I don’t want to understand Tina and why she has been acting out for so long.
I just want to be left alone to suffer in silence.
“Why are you acting like this?” Tina is fighting back the tears and I ignore the pang of guilt in my chest.
“You should leave now.” I suggest as I cross my arms.
“So it was all just for Kristin then?” Tina gestures wildly with her hands as she shakes her head in disbelief leaving her blonde hair to move from side to side.
“It’s not like that.” I lie.
“You must really hate me!” Tina’s eyes start to fill with tears and I push away the guilt immediately, not giving it the chance to surface on my face.
“I don’t hate you.”
“Right, because that would actually mean feeling any emotion towards me which you don’t right?” Tina manages to hold back the tears from falling.
“I’m not the one. I’m never going to be the one and you need to get over it.” I snap and Tina takes a step back in response as if my words physically harmed her.
“You obviously aren’t bonded to anyone otherwise you would know it’s not that simple,” Tina stamps her feet as her nostrils begin to flare. This is the only way for Tina to get over me.
“I know it’s pathetic to hold onto someone who doesn’t feel the same way not to mention pointless.”
“I am not pathetic!” I can see the fire in her tear filled eyes. I’m surprised Tina hasn’t physically lashed out yet. The wolf part of her wants to rip my face off, and rip my body into many pieces.
“I think it’s time you leave now. I’ve got a lot to do today,” I make sure to sound bored knowing Tina won’t be able to stand the sight of me afterward.
“Forget the friend’s thing. I can’t even stand the sight of you!” Tina shouts and fails to hold back the tears which fall over her eye lids and down her cheeks. “No wonder you’re “over” the friends thing, you’re barely human anymore.” Tina adds before she runs away through the trees and no doubt back to her apartment to cry to Phoebe who will probably come by to inflict physical pain on me later.
Like I care. I roll my eyes and head back inside although I barely get to take three steps before I hear a car heading toward the house. Instinctively I rush up to the second floor and look outside the window just in time to see the police vehicle park in front of the house.
The officer exits the car and walks toward the house, and I focus on the dog sitting in the back seat. All I have to do is focus on the animal, and it instantly starts barking and howling in a frenzy before it starts to whine and tries escaping through the window which is open slightly, just enough for its head to fit through.
The house technically belongs to the state, and they want him to make sure it’s empty, but as expected the officer lies and tells them it is before he starts to freak out and retreats back in the car; speeding away and I can’t help but snicker at how pathetic he is and how easy it was to get rid of him. Of course my self-gratification is cut short when Scott arrives at my house.
Seriously! This is getting ridiculous.
“I know you can hear me. I need your help.” Scott speaks and I roll my eyes.
Now he wants my help of course. I make my way downstairs and open the door to Scott who is standing on the porch.
“Okay I . . . I know I was part of you getting arrested and that we basically announced you being here to the hunters, also don’t know what happened to your sister but I think I did something last night. I . . . I had a dream about someone but someone else got hurt and it turns out that part of the dream might have actually happened.”
“You think you attacked the driver?” I ask assuming he is talking about the bus driver Garris Myers.
“Did you see what I did last night?” Scott is trying not to shout.
“No,” I reply although I did hear Kristin was the first one on the scene, and that equals Kristin playing with her father’s hunting gear and getting herself killed. Why are women so stupid!
“Can you at least tell me the truth, am I going to hurt someone?” Scott pleads.
“Yes.”
“Could I kill someone?”
“Yes.”
“Am I going to kill someone?”
“Probably,” I reply and see the hurt and sorrow shine in his brown eyes as he leans against the beam almost in shock.
“Look I can show you how to remember. I can show you how to control the shift even on a full moon but it’s not going to come for free.” I reply knowing that I need Scott if I want to succeed in taking down the alpha.
“What do you want?”
“You’ll find out but for now I’m going to give you what you want, go back to the bus and go inside, see it, feel it. Let your senses, your sight, smell, touch- let them remember for you.” I advise Scott.
“That’s it, just go back?”
“Do you want to know what happened?”
“I just want to know if I hurt him.”
“No you don’t. You want to know if you will hurt her.” I reply knowing there is a very high chance Alison will end up as mincemeat especially if he doesn’t learn how to control it. Even I came close to mauling Kristin multiple times, it takes time and practice.
“I . . . I don’t want to hurt her.”
“I know and the only way you can be with her and not kill her is if you learn how to control it. Go back there, you’ll see.”
“Okay.” Is all Scott replies with before he walks away trying to shake off the shock.