Chapter 8

EDITED 2021 

I chuck the blankets over my body as I wait for Brandon to message me. It was seven o'clock which meant he should be here anytime. I am so excited to finally see him. This week has been long and draining and seeing a familiar face would be nice.

My phone beeps and I anxiously check the message, only to be put down.

From Zayn:
Are you sure you don't want to go to the party? I can pick you up before I start drinking.

I roll my eyes at my screen. I can't believe my peers would rather go out and party and drink instead of actually worrying about education and health. It's ridiculous what people my age do. 

To Zayn:
I'm sure, haha. Brandon should be over any minute now :)

My phone beeps again. 

From Brandon:
Hey, Aria. I'm sorry but I'm not going to be able to make it. I promise I'll be there next weekend. Something popped up, Mr. Grey wants me to help him paint the house- how could I say no to him? Please don't be upset. We can FaceTime later?

I groan. Seriously? What am I going to do now? 

I then go back to Zayn's number and message him reluctantly. 

To Zayn: Actually... Pick me up in 10.

I hastily get up and run to my room to get ready. I cannot believe I am going to a college party with Zayn, Niall and girls like Bri and guys like Harry. Speaking of Harry, I have no idea where he was. Probably at the party. I hope not. 1

I apply a little bit more makeup than usual: some foundation, mascara, and gloss. I stay in my black leggings, but put on white long sleeve top. I then straighten out my hair to make it look more presentable. 

My stomach starts to churn. This is a bad idea. My mother would kill me if she knew I was going to a fraternity party. 

A party. 

With alcohol. 

And the occasional illegal substance.

What am I doing? This is not part of my four year college plan. I am supposed to avoid these situations, instead I am putting myself in one. 

I hear a knock at my door, knocking me back into reality. I open the door of my apartment and Zayn stands in the doorway. He smiles at me, dressed in a grey shirt and a jean jacket. "Ready to go?"

I nod before following him outside the door. We head towards the elevator. Zayn peers at me and licks his lips. 

"You look nice."

I blush and look down at my shoes. "Thank you."

"Really, you're absolutely stunning," Zayn admits. 

My face heats up even more. I am glad to exit the apartment building as the breeze cools my face down. Zayn opens his truck door for me and I climb in. I put on my seatbelt as Zayn joins me. 

"You definitely haven't been drinking, right?" I question, insecure.

Zayn frowns. "Of course not. If I drank I wouldn't be driving, Aria."

I stay silent. I know I am making a huge mistake going to a party. I'm so stupid. Mother is going to kill me. Seriously. I fidget in my seat. I hope nothing about this party goes home to Brandon or my mom. I should tell Zayn to take me back home.

Jesus, Aria. It's one party. It's college. Have fun.

"I need to introduce you to Kate, you'll like her." I glance at Zayn as he talks. "She's chill."