Chapter 4

EDITED 2021

The butterflies in my stomach was out of control the time I reached Furman Hall for my biology class. The building was huge and intimating. I mess around with the small bracelet on my wrist out of pure nervousness. It was the bracket my dad gave me the day before he passed.

I swallow the lump in my throat. I can't get all emotional right before class. I take a breath of confidence before walking into the grand building.

I get a message from my mother telling me good luck on the first day which made me feel a little better, but the feeling evaporates as soon as I step into the huge classroom. There was only a few early students in the seats, making the room appear even bigger. My eyes search down the stairs and the front of the room until I spot the professor writing on a piece of paper at his desk. He looks classy and professional with slick dark hair that was whitening, dark eyes, and sharp features.

I ignore the stares the best I could, but I felt my cheeks heat up for what seemed like the fiftieth time this morning. I tug down on my dress before making my way up to the front of the auditorium. I was told that introducing yourself to the professor was the best decision you can make during college. 

The professor glances up at me and smiles kindly. "Hello. Welcome to Intro to Biological Sciences. Miss?"

"Jacobs. Aria Jacobs. I just wanted to introduce myself before class officially starts."

"Aria- well, that's a unique name," he points out and I smile. "I am Professor Smith and you are a freshman, I assume?" I nod my head in confirmation. "Well I wish you luck on your first day of NYU, Miss Jacobs."

"Thank you. Is it possible to get a hard copy of all the assignments for the semester?" I ask him politely. "I like to be organized and well caught up on the material."

He nods his head and picks a piece of paper of a small pile and hands it to me. "I always have extra copies for the responsible students. Surprisingly, you are the only one to ask so far." He chuckles. "Well take a seat. You might want to get a good one before everyone comes in. I have over two hundred kids in this class."

I smile and thank him once more.

I take a seat in the front and after fifteen minutes the classroom fills up and college students take their seats all around the classroom. The chattering from all the students is loud and basically sounds like bugs buzzing from the number of voices. Niall shows up and takes a seat beside me and another guy with black hair and big brown eyes. A stubble was noticeable on his lower face. I can't help but to find that very attractive. Especially with his olive toned skin. Like Harry, tattoos were visible on his arms and upper neck.

"You like college so far?" The joyful blonde asks me and I giggle.

"I have literally have only been in a class for a few minutes but I guess it has been fine."

He laughs and the other boy joins in. Niall motions towards his friend. "This is Zayn. He's my best bud. Zayn, this Aria. I met her this morning."

Zayn's face brightens and humor is evident in his smile. He points at me and looked at Niall with a smirk.

"So this is the Aria with pretty eyes from Starbucks?" He laughs and Niall's face turns a scarlet red once again. My stomach flips in embarrassment and I feel a little better about myself from the compliment.

"Zayn, seriously-" Niall starts, clearly frustrated with his friend.

"Don't worry. You weren't lying," he points out. He turns his attention to me. "You're hot. No wonder he was crazy excited when he was talking about you. Did you really give him your number?"