Chapter 39

^ . . . you'll understand here shortly

"Zayn hasn't talked to me all week," I tell Liam as I plate pastries on a silver tray.

"Well you kinda earned yourself that one," he simply shrugs. "At least it sounds that way."

I frown to myself. I know he's right, but I didn't want to hear it out loud.

Whether it was biology or chemistry, Zayn didn't utter a single word to me at after our little argument Monday. Just silently handing each other the tools and worksheets. It was as if I was invisible. It was torturous and humiliating. Honestly I would rather he yell at me than to completely shut me out.

I'm just happy we don't have chemistry lab tomorrow, so I'll only have to see him in biology. Luckily Niall was there to soothe some of the tension.

"Sorry, but it's true," Liam says rather bluntly after noticing my expression. "I have no idea who this Zayn guy is, but he already sounds like a better guy than Harry. This must suck for him."

"I know how you feel about Harry," I murmur, feeling a bit awkward. I know Liam despises Harry because of what happened between Harry and his girlfriend, Kat, a few years ago. "And you have a perfectly acceptable reason to not trust him. But he's a totally different person now, I promise."

He presses his lips together, giving me a sincere gaze. "My opinion of him will never change, Aria. But if you say he's different with you, then trust your gut."

I sigh as I place the pastries in the cabinet. I close the doors and turn towards Liam. "I am. I feel good about him. Plus we haven't fought at all this week."

Aside from him catching me snoop through his phone, but I won't let that one count.

He stares at me. "You act like that's an applaudable achievement. That's just sad if anything."

I try not to laugh from his statement. I know it must sound insane from his perspective, or to anyone else for that matter. But it is an achievement for Harry and I.

He takes off his gloves, tossing them into the trash bin. "I'm going to the restroom."

"Okay," I shrug.

As he walks out of the kitchen, I stride to the hand sink and wash off my hands. As I dry my hands off, I hear the main doors bells chime signaling that someone has walked in. My heart skips a beat as my social anxiety is triggered, knowing that I will have to interact with a customer.

Luliana usually deals with customers. But she has already left for the night, after swarming us with goodbye hugs, letting Liam and I close. It was about a half hour until close and we have just about everything finished aside from sweeping and a few dishes.

I recollect myself by taking a deep breath in before walking out into the main area.

Reliefs floods over me as I notice who it is. Harry is bent over, leaning forward on the counter perched on his forearms. He presses his thumbs together as he peers up, his emerald eyes meeting mine. The corners of his peachy lips turn upwards, my stomach knotting at the sight.

"Sera, principessa," he hums.

My semester of Italian in high school was enough to understand his comment. Evening, princess. I ignore his flirty, Italian greeting. "What are you doing here?"

"I wanted to walk you back home," he shrugs.

I smile. "Really?

"Well, yeah." His eyes flicker over to the tray of baked goods. "Plus I was craving a cake pop."