Chapter 16

The next couple of weeks rush away. First exams were quickly approaching. I spent most of my time studying in the main library, where several hundred other students are nose deep into their course material. I have already taken my chemistry exam and passed with a ninety-eight percent, earning a jealous glare from Zayn who got a ninety-four. My next worry was calculus, our first exam was only a few days away.

I cross my feet and tap the end of my pencil on the desk in front of me. The library was thinning out as the sun set outside. My eyes gaze over the equations written in my notes from lecture. I was working on another limit problem, but my brain felt completely fried. 

I sigh and take my phone out of my pocket. I scroll through some of my notifications. I have two messages from Mom, one from Zayn, and one from Kate. I tap on my mother's contact.

From Mom: Hey, honey. I saw family weekend was this weekend. I'll be coming by Friday around 3pm? Maybe we can go shopping after some of the events! Have a girl day! 

I feel bad for wanting to roll my eyes. I forgot that NYU Family Weekend was this Friday. How dare they spring that on top of exam week? I do miss my mother, but I have to admit that this freedom was nice. I didn't realize how cooped up I was back at home under my mothers wing.

I look down at the other message that followed: 

From Mom: I would also like to go by that new job of yours. I am so proud of you, Aria. I am glad to see that boy hasn't completely ruined your plans for college. Love you!

I had to roll my eyes now. She takes any chance she can to dog on Harry. Little does she know that Harry is the reason I even got this part time job, which I start Thursday after class. I believe Luliana said I will only be there a couple hours at most. I am just getting the "run down" of how my shifts will work. I smile thinking of the sweet Italian woman who owned the bakery. I am grateful that I got a part time job with someone so kind; not to mention I get to practically bake all day! I'll need to thank Harry for that opportunity when I get home. If Harry is home anyway. He is usually gone most of the week, like he promised when we first met.

I wonder what Harry is doing right now. 

I shake my head. I cannot let my mind drift to my curly headed roommate. We have finally made it to the friendship stage of life and I want to keep it that way. Ever since our night full of fighting,  laughing, and cake-pops, we haven't had a full conversation. Harry is only home in the mornings to shower, and sometimes late at night. We say hello and he cracks a few jokes every now and then, but that's about it aside from class.

I didn't see him at all this last weekend. I am assuming he went to ZETA's never-ending parties. Zayn, Niall, and Kate practically begged me to attend them, but I declined due to my exams. That didn't stop them from snap chatting drunken photos and videos of them.

I make myself set the topic of Harry aside. I look at the notification from Zayn. 

From Zayn: Want to grab some food with us in a half hour?

The message from Kate said the same thing. I swallow. I am hungry, but Harry will most likely be with them. I don't want to bother Harry with his free time, or interfere with his friend group. I reply to Zayn.

To Zayn: I don't know. Will we be out late? 

Zayn replied quickly: Maybe until 8? If you need to leave sooner I can always take you home. I'm not drinking tonight.

I take a sip from my water bottle as I ponder whether I should go or not. I could get grab a vegetarian pizza from one of the school restaurants and binge watch television. I do enjoy my lone time, but I do feel like some social interaction would be good for the brain. I text Zayn a quick reply, agreeing to go.