Marlene

Original chapter title: A Little Off

When I wake up, I immediately register that I'm in a hospital room. Not that horrible basement or wherever they kept me. I feel someone holding my hand, and look over to see Uriah kneeling next to my bed.

"Uriah?" I moan, the lights suddenly getting too bright. I squint.

"Oh thank god. You're alive." He hugs me, being careful not to hurt me.  "What the hell did they do to you?"

"I-I don't know." I stammer. "Most of the time I-I was drugged. I just remember them digging a hole and tossing me in before piling the dirt on top of me." I shudder, remembering the lack of air, the darkness, the pressure on every inch of my body. Knowing that I was going to die, and I'd never see him and my friends again. "Did anyone come with you?" I ask.

He sits on the edge of my bed, still holding my hand tightly. He skims his thumb over my knuckles. "Lynn." He smiles sadly. "She's calling your parents. Marlene, as soon as I found out-"

He's cut off by the door opening. Behind it stand my parents. A twinge of hatred goes through me, but it's gone quickly. They hate each other -and me- and they're divorced, but I guess since I'm their daughter they feel like they have to be here and tolerate each other- and me.

"Marlene!" My mom hurries over and hugs me. Pain shoots through my back, but I ignore it. Of course they feel the need to put on the loving family act. People are around and they need to make a good impression. Uriah stands awkwardly by the door as my parents fuss over me, wanting to leave and give us privacy yet feeling the need to stay and protect me. 

Sometime between when my mother and father leave and when Lynn and our other friends come in to see me he disappears. Instead of worrying about him, I decide that it's better just to smile and laugh with everyone and call or text him later.