Tris

Original chapter title: The Kids Are (Sort of) All Right

Oh god. Why did we have to start school on a Friday?! Can someone just dig me a grave already, please?

I swipe my palms onto my jeans and bounce up and down on the balls of my black Converse-clad feet.

"It'll be fine, Beatrice." My brother Caleb assures me. I nod, even though I don't agree, and follow him through the doors and into the office. We give the smiling secretary our names, and she hands us our schedules. After a brief explanation of their confusing schedule, we're sent to homeroom.

"Who do you have?" Caleb asks.

"Ummm... Millar, you?"

"Wenshaw." He gives me a sad smile.

"Dammit." I mutter.

"Beatrice," He scolds. I feel my cheeks flush with embarrassment, even though there's no one in the hallway. I'm sixteen. Sixteen! And Caleb always treats me like I'm five. I roll my eyes at him. Just because he's Mommy and Daddy's favorite doesn't mean he can be such a prick.

I make a few wrong turns on my way to homeroom. When I get there, everyone sits at their desks- reading, drawing, finishing homework, or just staring off into space. The teacher, a man in his forties, looks up from whatever he's grading and smiles.

"Hello, are you Beatrice Prior?" I nod nervously, and he smiles. "I'm Mr. Millar. You can just grab a desk anywhere." I manage to smile at him depite the fluttering in my stomach before going to the very back next to the window. I'm about to pull out my book when someone sits next to me.

"Hi, I'm Christina. What's your name?" I look up to see who the owner of the voice is, and smile at the girl. She's pretty, with dark hair and skin that I can only really describe as a color somewhere between the color of coffee with milk and hot chocolate.

"Beatrice." I reply. She smiles at me.

"Nice to meet you. What're your classes?" I show her my schedule, and she grins. "We have a lot of classes together. I can show you around, if you want?" Her eyes are dark, but when she tilts her head the right way they glitter with red and gold. I wish I could have eyes like that. Mine are just...blue.

"Thanks, that'd be great." I give her a smile.

"Christina!" A scary-looking girl in all black calls from across the room. Her platinum blonde hair is cut really short and she has a lot of piercings. What is Christina, who seems like a sweet and... I don't know, popular girl doing with a girl that seems like she kicks puppies for the hell of it?

I shrug it off. It's not my place to judge.

Christina gives me an apologetic smile. "That's Lynn. If I don't go over, she'll drag me over. I'll see you in a little." She skips off and sits down with Lynn and a brunette girl.

I slide lower into my chair and smile, pulling out my book. Today might not be so bad after all.