Tobias

Original chapter title: Everything Will Break

"Tris!" I shout at the figure running from around the front of the school. Her head whips around. When she sees that I was the one that yelled, she changes course and sprints over, throwing her arms around me. Her skin covered in red splatters. "What's wrong? Are you alright?"

"Will," she sobs.

"What happened to Will?" I ask, pulling back and holding her by the shoulders.

"Eric sh-shot him." she stammers. I hug her tightly.

"Is she okay?" A medic asks.

"Yeah, but our friend just got shot." I'm surprised at how calm I sound.

"What does he look like?"

"Light blonde hair, green eyes." I inform him. He yells something over to the other medics and jogs away. I look at Tris. "Are you okay?"

She sniffles and wipes away her tears. "Yes. No. Oh, I don't know." I smile. "What?"

"You." I roll my eyes and shake my head at her. She wraps her arms around my waist, buries her head in my chest,  and hugs me tightly, as if I'll disappear at a moment's notice or something. I kiss the top of her head gently, smoothing down her hair.

"Where's Will?" Christina and Cara run over to us.

"Eric shot him."

"God damn it. I'll kill him. I'll rip every limb off of his goddamned weasley body and feed it to my dog." Cara snarls, slamming her clenched fist against her palm. I've never thought of Cara as intimidating. Now? I'm absolutely terrified of her.

"Is he dead?" Christina asks worriedly. A stretcher rolls past with Will on it. She and Cara run over and start talking to one of the medics that brought him over.

I bend my head down and put my mouth next to Tris's ear. "Don't scare me like that again." I murmur.

"Don't let some trigger-happy nutcase and his psychotic cronies grab me again." she retorts.

"What'd they do to you?" I ask.

"He grabbed me by my waist. Tried to touch me, but I kicked him. He dragged me over to his damn friends and threw me on the ground. One of them said something about him getting a pretty one this time, and Eric made some comment about being unable to wait until he can get me in his bed or something." She's a lot calmer about this than I am. I tighten my grip around her.

"That's when Will came, right?" I ask, and she nods.  Damn. I owe him one for taking a bullet for Tris. Literally.

"God. I'm so sorry, Tris."

"You didn't do it. And besides, I'm fine." She assures me. She pulls away from me a little and I brush some hair from her eyes. "Don't blame yourself." She presses her forehead against mine.

"Okay, I won't." I promise.

She smiles lightly and pulls away from me some. "I need to go talk to the police about the 'incident'. Can you take me home?"

"Of course." Her smile broadens and she turns her back to me, walking through the crowd to find an officer. I go back and sit in my car, thinking about everything that just happened. Two words: holy. Shit.