Tris

Original chapter title: Fairness is a Myth

"For the millionth time, I don't care!"

"But Tris-"

"No buts." I snap. "I'm not allowed to go to Disney. Caleb is. Big fucking deal." I slam my fork into my lunch.

"This has happened before, hasn't it?" Marlene asks softly. Everyone at our table stares at me, waiting to hear what I have to say. Waiting for me to confirm what they already know. 

I shift uncomfortably. "Several times." I mutter. "When we lived in California, they said that they could only afford three tickets for Disneyland, so I stayed home with a babysitter. When we lived in Florida, it was that they could only afford three tickets for Universal. The same thing happened with Disney World-it happened three times for Disney, actually- and a few other places. You know, like Busch Gardens and Six Flags." I shrug.

"Is that it?"

"Nope. They've also been on every Disney cruise ship, and I couldn't go."

"They couldn't afford it." Lynn sneers in a mocking tone of my adoptive mother's voice. "Bullshit. They just enjoy making you feel like shit."

"It's fine. Really. I'm used to it by now. And anyways, Caleb deserves it. He's the intelligent one. And the honest one. And the selfless one. And-"

"Have they seriously shoved that down your throat so many times that you actually believe it?" Shauna asks in disbelief. I swallow hard and nod. Tobias slides his fingers through mine beneath the table and gives my hand a gentle squeeze. He runs his thumb across my knuckles, and somehow it makes me feel better.

"Just remember- they aren't as bad as my father." He murmurs, lips close to my ear.

"Not even close." I quietly agree. He cracks me a half-smile.

"This isn't right, Tris."Zeke says. "You deserve to come to Disney with us."

"Deserve to or not, I'm not allowed to go. And anyways, I'm grounded until Halloween."

"Why?" Lauren demands.

"Because," I shrug as if it's no big deal. "Apparently I told you guys- forced you guys, according to them- to come and beg them to let me come to Disney."

"Bullshit!" Christina slams her hand against the table. She shrinks down in her seat when several people turn to look at her.

"It's fine." I insist. "Besides, what could I be missing out on?"