Tris

Original chapter title: Why Me?

I pull away from Tobias and look at the couch, blushing. This man is obviously his father, but I'm too embarrassed to be angry for what he does to his son.

Marcus stares at his son for a moment or two longer before clearing his throat and adjusting his dark gray tie.

"Tobias, who is this?" He gives me a warm, fatherly smile. Suddenly my Converse are extremely interesting.

"A friend." Tobias replies harshly, his voice cold and flat. "In fact, we were just going to leave so that I could take her home. Right?" He looks at me, eyes begging me to play along. I nod silently and follow him out the door.

"Manners, Tobias. Did you invite her to stay for dinner?" Tobias stops and stiffens.

"I-I can't, sir." I stammer. "My aunt is in town and my parents are expecting me home soon." Lies. I keep my face blank.

"Very well, maybe another time." He smiles again, though it seems more like a smile that a cannibal would give his victim before he kills them. Tobias turns and leads me downstairs quickly. He doesn't say anything as he hands me my hoodie and grabs his sweatshirt. The silence kills me, but I know he won't talk until we're outside and away from his father.

He unlocks his car and drops into the drivers seat. I get in on the passenger side and sink down into the seat, buckling myself in.

Tobias slams his hand against the steering wheel, and I jump.

"That goddamn asshole! He ruins everything." Tobias mutters, fumbling with the key as he tries to get it into the ignition. Rain pounds on the roof, and thunder adds to the angry feeling in the air.

"It's fine." I tell him quietly.

"No, it's not!" He practically shouts. I shrink farther into my seat. This is the first time Tobias has ever scared me. He sighs and slumps against the wheel, hiding his face in his folded arms.

"It'll be okay." I tell him gently, resting my hand on his back between him shoulder blades.

"And what if it isn't Tris? Then what?" His tone isn't filled with anger like it was just a minute before. Instead he sounds...defeated. Something I never thought I'd say. He starts the car and pulls out of the driveway.

I'm silent for a minute. "Then we'll get though it. If you think that I'm going to let you deal with your father alone, you're wrong. And really stupid."

He laughs and shakes his head in disbelief. "You're amazing, you know."

"No, I'm not." I look down at my hands, clasped together in my lap.

"Yes, you are." He pulls over in front of my house and takes my hand in his "You're smart and selfless. You're usually honest- usually," I laugh, "and you're kind. When people deserve it. And you're probably the bravest person I know."

I feel my cheeks heat up. "So?"

"So, I want to be all those things. " He swallows and gives me a sheepish smile. "I continuously struggle with kindness."

I'm tempted to tease him and say "Well, obviously" but now is clearly not the time.

I look up at him. "No one's perfect. That's not possible." He give me a half-smile, and I kiss him on the cheek before opening my door and grabbing my backpack. I give him one last smile before slinging one of my backpack straps over my shoulder and running up the driveway.