Shauna

Original chapter title: If I Die Young

Will's funeral is on a Saturday.

It's a dark and rainy, one of those days that you wish you could just curl up in bed and lay there forever. I'm tired, but I couldn't sleep last night, so it's not like it really matters.

Cara and Christina both cry as they tell some of their favorite things that they'd done with Will. Uriah, Marlene, Lynn, and Lauren talk about almost every prank they've played on Will or that he's helped them with, and everyone laughs. Four's is simple and straightforward, making everyone smile when he says about the time that he and Will dumped a bucket of oatmeal on heads of us girls at one of Lauren's birthday parties. Zeke tells us all how they met, and Tris's is all about how he was always so nice to her and he was intelligent and helpful. Then it's my turn.

"Will and I weren't as close as he was to the others," I start. "But that doesn't mean that I didn't count him as one of my best friends. He was smart and sweet, and okay, a little crazy, but he fit right in with all of us."

That wins some smiles and even a few laughs.

I take a deep breath. "But to be completely, one hundred percent honest, it won't be the same without him. Especially since we've already lost three friends. Two of them moved away, and we all know what happened to Al." Myra and Edward moved not that long ago. To separate sides of the country. Because they both had some bad problems that they had to get over. "But that's not the point. I feel like I'm repeating Tris when I say this but it'll get better. For everyone. Maybe not today, or tomorrow, or the day after that. But hopefully one day soon we'll be able to talk about Will without crying like we all are now. One day, we'll be able to talk about him the way he'd want us to- with a smile." People clap as I return to my seat, and Zeke takes my hand.

He glances over me and gives me a smile. His eyes send me a message- you did good.

"You did great, Shauna."