IMAGINE #32

She removes the stethoscope that hung around her neck as she bent her body down and held the hand of an old man in front of her,

'I'm glad you're getting better.' She smiled at him before facing the old man's daughter, 'He can be discharged tomorrow, and he can go and rest well at home.' Again, she gave the significant other her smile.

'Thank you so much, Doctor.' She nodded, acknowledging the sincere gratitude before exiting the room. Approaching the nurses' station, she was greeted by the nurse in-charged,

'Good evening, Dr. Y/N. Here's the patient's chart.'

'Good evening, Ma'am and thank you.' She fished her pen that was clipped to the pocket of her white blazer and started to jot down her discharge orders on the patient's chart.

She thanked the nurse who attended her before leaving the station. Walking towards the elevator, she glanced at her watch and slightly groaned at the time, 2:26 in the morning, 'Might as well take a nap.' She pondered to herself since she was up for 2 days straight, rendering her duty as a resident doctor in one of the well-known hospitals in Beijing.

Leaving the elevator, she walked towards an isolated hallway and entered through a door which has labeled 'Resident Physicians Headquarters' on top of it.

She took off her medical coat and hung it on the chair beside her bed before grabbing her Wintrobe's Clinical Hematology book that was lying flat one upon another with some of her other books as she quietly laid on her bed, careful not to wake some of her colleagues that were also trying to rest.

Scanning her book page by page, she felt her eyelids gradually became heavy as she yawned for the umpteenth time. She closed and situated her book beside her pillow and was about to settle herself to sleep, however, the intercom system boomed around the room, or let's say around the hospital premises.

'Paging Dr. Y/N, you are needed in the emergency department right now.' She slightly groaned as the intercom system once again repeated the notification.

She nevertheless stood up, put on her medical coat once yet and wore her hair in a loose bun.

'I can feel you, Doctor.' she was slightly startled when one of her colleagues spoke, but with eyes still shut.

'Yeah,' she plainly retorted massaging her head.

'Get through with that and get some sleep. You badly need it.' She chuckled and nodded her head before exiting their headquarters.

When she reached the emergency department, she was escorted into the isolation room by one of the nurses.

She was a bit taken aback when she saw four familiar faces looking directly at her, worry and frustration visible on their faces, two of them had a huge amount of blood stains on their shirts that made her panic. She stood on the bedside and looked down at the man in front of her looking pale and helpless that made her heart ache.

'Infuse factor VIII. 2,000 units for now and please prepare 2 units of fresh frozen plasma.' She informed the nurse beside her.

'Yes, Doctor.' The nurse replied as she hurriedly went out of the room.

'Blood pressure?' She asked the other nurse who was applying pressure on the wounded part of the anterior surface of his hand.

'80/60, Doctor.' She nodded. The nurse came back with the drug in hand and started infusing it.

'Does your wound hurt, hmm?' she asked him, full of affection. He didn't respond to her question, instead she felt his other hand touch hers gently,