Chapter fourty seven: into the rabbit hole

It was the same thing that swollowed my brothers. I tried to get away from it but it was like a vacuum pulling everything towards it. Before falling into the abiss I managed to grab Deans ivory handled pistol.
Light then dark, that's how it went. After the bright light had consumed me an eery darkness came over. Slowly but surely the world came back into focus. I checked my body to make sure I was all in one piece. Nothing seemed to be broken or bleeding, except for the burning pain on the lower half of my back. I'd probably got the same burn mark that Sam and dean had on their backs. Great another huge scar to go with the rest of them.
Now to find out where the hell I was. I stood up and looked around, there was a paved modern street only ten feet away from me and a bunch of city lights way in the distance. Looks like I was headed that direction. Lucky for me i still had Dean's ivory handled gun with me and it was fully loaded with eight rounds.
I walked for an hour and the lights just seemed as far as they were before. If I'd just had my cell phone, next time I'm bringing that thing with me everywhere. Finally over the horizon I could see what looked to be a gas station lighting up the night. I almost ran with excitement to the place.
When I got there when I realized it was closed. I looked inside of the station and decided whether or not to break in. Before I did I went around the other side and thankfully discover an open bar. It was clearly misplaced being right next to a gas station in the middle of no where, miles from a big city. I walked inside to find it was mostly empty except for three men and one hard ass looking bartender dude. Two of the three customers were playing darts and drinking what looked to be whisky, either way they were pissed drunk. The third guy was sitting alone reading a stack of books. I sat down across from the bartender who was already giving me incriminating stares.
"what'll it be?" He asked. Usually I could have taken this opportunity to get a beer, or some other alcoholic beverage but I didn't have any IDs or money.
"I'll have a water and I need to call someone, you have a phone?" I asked him. He put the water in front of me before answering.
"there's a pay phone out front," he said, his voice deeper and more gravely than I'd expected.
"look, I know this sounds weird but I've been walking for an hour on the side of that road and I don't have any money, so can you give me a break and spare a few quarters?" I pleaded. The bartender shrugged at me.
"sorry lil lady it's been a slow day, no change, but you can ask the other customers."
I nodded and smiled a little at him. He couldn't just let me use his cell, I mean come on. Maybe he forgot it, just like I did. My first instinct was to approach the older man reading but I wouldn't want to interrupt him and then take his time and money, so I went to ask the two losers playing darts.
"wow there hot stuff, looking for a good time?" One of them said getting way too close to me. I scooted backwards and gave him a deadly glare.
"no thanks, do you two have a few quarters to spare or maybe a cell phone?"
The both of them looked at each other and then began to laugh hysterically.
"is something funny?"
The guy who was standing in the background got closer to me to, forcing me to be pinned against a pool table.
"We ain't no rich mother fuckers, what makes you think we can afford a cell phone!"
The other retard chimed in after him "besides I only pay my hores after they do their job."
They both got closer and one of them touched my hair. I was about to go ape shit on them when both of the guys were pulled back. It was the guy who was reading that came to my unneeded rescue.
He punched one knocking him out cold before throwing the other into a table. I had to admitt pops had some skills, but I could have dealt with these drunk lunatics myself.
"you alright?" He asked me.
"I'm fine, not that I needed your help anyway, I was in the process of figuring out how to kill them," I informed him.
The guy rolled his eyes "sure thing kiddo, your welcome by the way."
I went through the unconscious ones pocket and found a few quarters, just like I'd hoped. I eyed the bartender who gave about as much fucks as a pile of dirt. On the way past the guys table I saw something that I recognized. I instinctively picked up the familiar leather journal and looked down at the words. They were freshly written in ink about murders in Pensilvania. I recognized the book and the page because I read it before in John's notebook. I moved my eyes over towards the man and looked him up and down, it was him John Winchester, by biological father. I was suddenly speechless and when I started to put things together. There were no cell phones and John was still alive so I must have been taken back in time. Then it hit me, the time guardian was behind all this. For what reason though? Why go to the trouble to send me and my brothers back in time if they don't even remember it and I won't.
"hey kid you alright?" John asked snapping a finger in front of my eyes.
"your John Winchester, arnt you?" I said without thinking. He staggered backwards and put a hand over his pocket where I suspected he'd had a weapon.
"who are you?" He asked sternly.
"relax I'm a hunter, my names Shaden win-Williams," I corrected myself quickly. Was I supposed to tell him I was his kid, wouldn't that fuck up time or something. John seemed a bit optamistic that I was a hunter.
"your a hunter? How old are you, sixteen?"
"actually, I am a hunter, and I'm almost twenty."
John calmed down and smiled also holding a hand out for me to shake. I took his hand eagerly not being able to stop my bursting smile.
"so kiddo, Shaden, what in the heck possessed you to come out here alone? Do you have parents?" He seemed more worried for me now than him.
"my parents are dead, and I had two guys with me, my brothers, but, it's complicated." John gathered up the pile of books he had and checked his wrist watch "well it's getting late, you need a ride somewhere?" He asked. I'd much rather be with him than trying to walk the rest of the way into that city.
"sure, I need a ride."
We went outside to the back of the bar where the all too familiar impala stood. She looked shinier than ever in her younger state.
"she's a beauty ain't she?" John patted the hood of the car. I smiled and nodded, there was no car I'd like to see more.
For most of the ride John had on some music, identical to the cassettes Dean played.
"I'm surprised you know all these songs, they're pretty ancient," he joked.
"my brother plays this kind of stuff over and over too."
"well your brothers got good taste."
A few seconds of silence passed before he shut off the music.
"so where are these brothers of yours anyway?"
What was I going to say, it had to be a lie.
"I'm missing to them, and frankly I don't think I can be found. I don't even know how long I've been gone for all I know is I have to find them, somehow."
"that was pretty vague, do I get an explanation?"
"sorry but it's personal stuff, you don't have to worry about me I can take care of myself, it's my brothers who I worry about, those emotionally unstable bastards," I scuffed.
John had a small smile at my remark "so kid how is it you've found me and this place, how do you even know me?"
For a guy he sure had a lot of questions, I felt like I was being interrogated and maybe I was. I knew him, but he didn't know me and all I've been telling him so far has been more than confusing. The good thing was I knew what case he was on, and it wasn't over yet. I had read John's journal before and this entry in particular was always intresting to me.
"I was looking around for my brothers, when I stumbled into this city dirt broke after I lost a bet, so I was hoping to get hunting on this thing."
I couldn't spoil it for him and destroy time, with that whole butterfly affect and shit so I pretended to not know what he was hunting for the time being.
"I had two questions," John reminded.
"I know you through word of mouth, your a popular guy John," I lied. He seemed pretty flattered and his face had a bragging smirk.
"I try my best, been doing this for nine years."
The city of Pittsburgh slowly came into full view. It was a very nice city that had a fresh rich tone to it, like Beverly Hills in LA.
"so where am I taking you?" He asked. I wasn't really sure, I had no money and clothes, even if I had my cell phone it wouldn't work. I also had no IDs to get away with anything.
"I honestly don't know," I said.
"you know kid my hotel rooms pretty nice, I could sleep on the couch," he offered.
"I couldn't do that to you, I'll find a way to contact you in the morning," I told him.
He drove over to a street corner and dropped me off.
"you sure, it's no trouble," he insisted. As much as I'd like to stay with my long dead father from the past it would still be too awkward.
"no please I'll be fine."
"at least let me give you some cash," he handed me twenty, twenty dollar bills, four hundred bucks.
"whoa, I can't take this!"
He shook his head "it's blood money anyway, I'm staying at the Lagoona off of Daylight road in room 407."
"see you later," I smiled. He nodded at me then drove off.
The sun would come up any moment from now I was sure of it. So I wasn't going to get any sleep tonight I might as well do something useful, like buy some clothes. I went to the closest department store I could find, a sears. They didn't have much but all I needed was a cheap suit and some hair ties. The grey pantsuit I got was very unfitting and it was ichy, what else could I do though. You don't have many options when your stuck in the past. It so happens that it's much harder to survive in such an unadvanced time.
Now that the sun was up I decided to get a cab or something to John's hotel. I waved down a taxi and got in.
"Lagoona hotel, Daylight road," I told him. The man driving only nodded at me and didn't say a word. After a while of driving the guy turned on the radio. I thought it would be more professional to ask but I didn't really mind. As he flipped through the stations I heard a brief news broadcast.
"can you switch it back please, to the broadcast?"
Again wordlessly, he switched it back.
"today in Stolka Park another gruesome, skinless body was found by some teenagers, this is the fourth victim this week and police are informing citizens to be on the look out and lock your doors and windows," a woman said.
"I'm sorry I changed my mind, I need to get to Stolka Park."
"that's in the opposite direction we've already gone so far, it will cost you extra," he informed me.
"I don't care, this is important," I handed him a wad of cash. He seemed pretty happy with the rest of my money in his hands minus the last twenty dollar bill I still had in my pocket.
We arrived at Stolka Park where a bunch of police cars were clustered around some yellow tape. I spotted the impala parked across the street, I knew he'd be here.
"miss I can't let you in," an officer stopped me in front of the crime scene. I heard John from behind the officer.
"it's okay, she's consulting with me."
I smiled at him and made my way into the yellow tape.
"thanks for that, it seems I already owe you a lot."
John shrugged "no problem, it's what I do."
I went over to examine the body. A blonde woman stood over the corpse holding a rag over her mouth to mask the pungent smell of rot. Let me tell you the smell was much more endurable than the sight. The skin was just gone as if he never had any, all that was showing was the muscle tissue.
"you ever seen anything like this before?" John asked me.
"looks like it might be an Oni," I lead him on trying to get him on the right track. If its anything like the journal said in the future one more person would die at the Oni's hand before John had a chance to stop it. Maybe if I help I would destroy time and space or what not, but it's not in me to just let others die.
"an Oni?"
"they're Japanese troll guardians, they hide in the woods or brush and eat only human skin anything else to them is poisonous."
"and what does an Oni look like?"
"almost human, but very lean and pointy eared" I explained. The blond woman holding the rag approached me.
"Mr. Cash who's your friend here?" She asked eyeing me.
"I'm a consultant, names Shaden."
She then looked over at John bitchily "nice to meet you Shaden, on the contrary I don't understand why the FBI would need a consultant, what exactly are you consulting about?"
Could this bitch be real for fucks sake I'm a consultant not a suspect.
"look, detective I'm sure you'd like to have the clearance to ask me these questions but you don't, so have a nice day," there was an obvious heat in my breath. I began to walk away and I could feel Johns feet at my heels.
"hey kid, kid," he repeated but I ignored him.
"Shaden."
"that's better, did it hurt you to say my name," I snapped unintentionally.
"ignore her she's just upset she doesn't consult for the FBI, I want to get on this Oni thing your talking about anyways."
I was very conflicted on what to do the journal never went into detail on who the next person was and I wasn't sure if I could destroy the laws of time and space without consequence.
"do you have Internet?" I huffed.
"what's Internet?"
Great thats just great now I've got to find a library or something.
"do you know of any libraries around here or maybe you've got some books of your own?" I asked. John smiled at himself
"I haven't got any books and I sure as hell don't know any library's but I do know a guy who does."
"who?"
"an old friend, I need to make a call," he threw and caught two quarters in front of me.
John walked over to a nearby phone booth and slipped in the coins. I waited patiently against the side. He didn't close the door to the booth so I could hear half the conversation.
"hey Bobby I've got something for you to look up, it's an Oni and its Japanese."
I recognized the name quickly, Bobby, as in Sam and Dean's second father and mentor the guy that Trudy from shinedown told me about.
"yeah yeah whatever how do I kill it?"
John listened for a bit then smacked his hand on the edge of the phone booth.
"where the hell am I going to get that?"
He rolled his eyes at me jokingly.
"thanks Bobby I'll see you soon," he hung up the phone.
"so how do we kill it?" I asked him.
John breathed deeply outward "we need a hundred year old samurai sword that with the owner committed seppuku."
"seppuku?" I played dump, knowing all to well how to kill the thing.
"it's Japanese for suicide, after a samurai was dishonorable they would kill themselves in shame."
"so lets start checking pawn shops or something," I told him.
"I've got a better idea," John pointed across the street to an old looking antique store.
The store was musty and dry, not much seemed to be here. The man at the counter was young looking and also was sound asleep. John impatiently slammed a hand down next to his face to wake him.
"ahh uh, hello I uh-um wasn't, can I help you?" He bumbled. John gave me a look saying, can you believe this? I returned it with a shrug.
" yes you can help me, I need a samurai sword, particularly one that was used in a seppuku ritual."
The young guy looked confused for a moment then went to the back of the store. He returned quickly with three swords.
"this is all I've got but I don't know if they've been used in a seppuku ritual, they are all real," he said. John picked up one of the swords and took it out of its sleeve.
"how old are they?"
"old, I think at least three hundred years, except that one," the guy pointed to the smallest brittle looking sword.
"that's one is at least a thousand years." John admired the most ancient of the three.
"So how much?"
"for which one?"
"All of them."
The guy looked between us surprised.
"are you two collectors or something?"
"yeah something like that, how much?" John pushed on. The man looked at all the swords and thought for a bit.
"sixteen hundred, only offer". John pulled his wallet out and in cash gave the guy his money.
"pleasure doing buisness with you," he said happily taking the cash.
Without a word me and John left with the swords.
"where did you get all this money from?" I asked, curiousity getting the better of me.
"I sort of stole it from a rich vampire guy I killed," he said. He then turned on the radio which played some Beatles music.
"so kid how's bout we find us a Japanese troll, and ice the bastard."
"sounds pretty great to me," I smiled to myself, when is a person lucky enough to spend time with the biological father they never met.
We both thought it was a great idea if we'd wait at the park over night in the impala because three out of the four victims were murdered there. I'd been alone for the past fifteen minutes waiting for John to come back with food. Ever since I'd recently gotten the key back I ate very rarely. I decided to eat in front of John so I wouldn't get critized. John entered the car with both our burgers.
"here you go, see anything?"
"nope, it's been quiet but maybe he won't strike tonight." He slid back into the drivers seat of the car and took a huge bite of his bacon burger.
"so John, are you alone? I mean do you hunt with anyone?" I asked. John took a napkin and wiped his face.
"I hunt alone usually, sometimes with Bobby but he's a stay at home kind of guy, and a few others like Rufus and the Williams."
"the Williams?" I said instinctively. It had to be my parents who else could it be.
"yeah nice couple Melody and Greg, but Mel's pregnant so they've sort of left the lifestyle."
I held my breath, pregnant? Did I have a step brother or sister? I couldn't have it wasn't possible Melody can't have kids.
"you know Shaden, I've got two young boys, my sons, that I'm training for the future and if I'm sure of one thing it's that I hope they turn out like you."
I snapped back into reality thinking of how ironic what he just said was.
"thanks John, that means alot, how old are they?"
"Sam is the younger one and he's nine, Dean is....." John stopped suddenly. He got out of the car and started to look around. I got out with him and looked not seeing anything.
"what is it?"
"did you hear that?"
There was suddenly a loud feminine scream.
"now I did."
John grabbed two swords and I grabbed one. He insisted on having the really old one claiming he was more skilled.
"who's to say the things will work anyway," i told him.
"if they don't were screwed."
We followed the trail of sound coming from a thickly planted area of Stolka Park. There was lots of crunching and moving all around us but half of the noise was undetermined between us and the Oni. A swift movement came from Johns left and into a bush. Silently John motioned for us to go to the bush. I looked towards him warily just before he jumped into the brush. Out popped a frightened possum that froze in its tracks and played dead. Me and John started to giggled at ourselves until his face turned to horror.
"Shaden!" He yelled. I was already on the ground with the Oni looking over me.
"ugly son of a bitch," I yelled stabbing the sword into him. Instead of what I'd liked to have happened the sword literatly just snapped apart. I cursed myself as the monster sent a large claw down my shoulder. John sprung into action by tackling the Oni off of me. I rolled out of the way and quickly recovered. My arm stung like a bitch but the adrenilin masked most of the pain. I knowticed the John had also broken a sword, the really old one. So that left one more sword that we had to kill the thing. I tried to held my struggling father by tearing at the Oni's skin which was waxy and soft. It was ridculous how weak the skin seemed compared to how you couldn't break it.
"Shaden, hand me the other sword," John gasped. I found our last sword tucked underneath John's back, out of his reach. As swiftly as I could I got out the weapon and whacked it against the creature. My heart skipped a beat as the blade smashed into two pieces.
Things seemed to go in slow motion as the Oni slapped me so hard I flew two yards away. My path was stopped by a hard rock wall.
I tried to get my eyes in focus as things started to get hazy. John was being held against a tree by his neck as the Oni began to cut at his arm. I heard him holler in pain and I knew what I had to do. I stood up dizzily and stubbled over to the Oni. Then I threw a rock at its head to get its attention. The Oni angrily turned around and looked at me, that was all I needed.
"please work, please," I whispered to myself. I looked at the Oni and felt the key's power draining into it, killing it. A blue glow started in its belly and began to spread into its veins. I felt a trickle of hot blood streaming from my nose as I finished it off. The Oni then exploded smacking its guts all over me, John, and the trees surrounding us. The last bit of my energy gave me enough time to say
"We won."
Then it was black.