Chapter 1

EDITED - 2021

"Are you sure you want to go to this apartment?" My mother asks me cautiously as her icy blue eyes scanned the pricey apartment. "I can try to find a dorm. Someone could of moved out already."

I shake my head and grasp ahold of one of my bags. "It's perfectly fine. I've always dreaded dorms anyway so this would be great for my first year of college." 

It was true. I've always despised those tiny dorms you would see on television. Besides, I always wanted my own apartment... well, sort of my own apartment. Apparently New York University is loaded with freshmen this year and with one of the dormitories down for renovation, there is not enough university housing. Freshmen who weren't fortunate enough to receive a dormitory were given a scholarship to help pay for a campus apartment. Almost every single apartment on campus was full. And this one is definitely the best choice; pricey, yes, but at least I will not have to worry about bed bugs or rats. 

"Really," I assure her when I see the look she had on her face.

"I just want you to be comfortable, Aria, and I can only help you pay for so long before I run out of funds," she explains to me. 

I was thankful my mother started a college fund for me as a child, but I was also feeling slightly guilty for using that money as there are plenty of other expenses she could use the money for; her mortgage, car, and any other debts for example. 

"I know, mom. I'm getting a job, remember?"

"I just wanted to remind you, honey. I don't like the thought of you having to have a job during college. You need to focus on your studies. You are an honors student at an outstanding private university. That is your priority."

I stay silent, knowing that was true, and closed the door to my car before stuffing my car keys in my purse. I was pretty nervous to see my roommate, but I just have the feeling that she will be just like me. She will probably love to read, study, and watching sob-worthy romance movies like I do. She will be a cat person. She will like to wear oversized sweatshirts, Birkenstocks, and Vans. 

At least I hope she does. 

Even after lecturing myself, I still fear that my roommate will end up being some rich sorority girl who obsesses over Lululemon, Chanel, and spray tan. Or worse; some punk, gothic chick that decorated the apartment with spiderwebs and other satanic things. Not to be judgmental, I just don't want to share a living space with someone that is not- well, me. 

What if my roommate will want to party every night and want to drag me down with her? I shudder even thinking about waking up at three in the morning to a drunk college girl finally getting home. 

I shut the trunk of my car with a loud thud, earning a look from my mother, after grabbing all my bags. My mother grabs one of the three bags from my grasp and we walk towards the apartments and in the lobby.

I was happy this place had an elevator, so I do not have to take the stairs everyday. Cardio really isn't my thing. The lobby alone is breathtaking, with bright walls and marble flooring. I cannot even picture what the decor of my apartment will look like. Unfortunately, there were no pictures of my exact apartment in particular just a paragraph explaining the sizes, rooms, and costs.

This apartment was pretty expensive, even with the student discount, but the only other choices had small bugs exploring the walls and a nasty aroma coming from the carpets. I was lucky enough to get the last room available here.