The Caller

Thursday
12:00nn

Lunch time.
My favorite time of the day.

I dont do the usual "lunch out" with co-workers, thats because my dad doesnt want me to. He thinks that trying to be close with your employees would lower the respect they have for you because they might get too comfortable. 

Thats where I truely disagree.
Do you want people respecting you out of fear? or do you want people to respect you because they admire your skills, your competence, you're goals, you're passion for the company and most of all, they respect you because they learn to love you and treat you like family?

We all wanted to be respected, in a way we truely desire. It is up to us, if its between out of love or fear. You decide.

Going back to work,
being the youngest among my siblings I am truely blessed to be chosen as Vice President next to Dad. My eldest brother Kuya Marc, handles our other corporate companies along with my sister Aira and Marvin. Its an honor to be chosen to work with dad side by side as his trustworthy heiress.

As i was seriously scrolling my presentation for our meeting later,

ring.. ring.. ring..

"unknown number"

"hello? who's this?" As i answered the call.

"......"

there was no answer.

"helloooo?" as i said again.

30 seconds passed still no answer.

toot.. toot.. toot..
hangs up phone.

"weird." as i nodded my head when it hanged up on me.

*1 message received*

"You may not know it, but you always make my day. I may not have the courage to speak up or introduce myself but i just want you to know that you are one good person and please dont ever change that. Always do smile, because you dont know somewhere out there there's someone who keeps on fighting to survive every day just to see that smile.

-- Burger King."

"What? Burger king? Thats freakin' corny for a code name. Ha Ha." As i laughed at the sender's code.

But then again, I was left thinking about that mysterious caller. I know secret admirers are pretty normal way back in HS, but now?

Its kinda..

"..cute." as i whispered to myself.

tok. tok. tok.
*knock on the door*

"Rhian?" As a well dressed man entered my office.

Its my Dad.

"woah. hey dad." as i dropped my phone because i was surpised to see him in a situation where i was just smiling about the text from my secret admirer.

"You seem to be in a good mood these past few weeks rhi, Something you wanna share with your old man?" As he sat down in the couch infront of me.

This is my typical Dad, he knows when im perfectly happy and he knows when im devastatedly sad. We dont talk much lately because we've both been busy through work and me with my friends, but when he gets the chance he always grabs it to catch up with my stories that i know sometimes bores him, still he wants to listen to them.

"Well, I met this new friend. She grew up from the US but decided to build dreams here in the philippines. She's really independent knowing that she'd be leaving her family there for her to stand on her own and make her own business and fulfill her dreams." As i narrated to Dad.