Chapter 8: Never want to stop Hugging

"I'm up, I'm up", I chant.

I get up and gently push Mark away from me.
It was just a dream..

"Let's go", I say as I grab my jean jacket.
"Where to?", Mark asked.

"We're just gonna take I walk", I say. I twist the door handle and head out.
The kitchen lights were off which probably meant my mom is asleep.

I walk out of the garage door and wait a second for Mark to catch up.

We walk down the sidewalk passing the higher skyscrapers and trees.
While taking a stroll, I notice a TV on at the TV store. On the screen was a newscaster talking.

Breaking news, there has been recent murders located down Lake Erie. These murders have been spreading down Cleveland. I ask that everyone remain indoors. Also, is it true that technology is taking over? We'll find out, on channel 7.

My eyes widened, I covered my mouth with my hands.
"Is everything alright, Emma?"

That's the first time I've heard Mark actually said my name. Hearing him worried actually soothed me.
"Let me take you somewhere", Mark grabs my hand and I am dragged along with him.

We finally stop by a park across the street. Mark and I hold hands to cross the sidewalk and stroll across the grass to a lake.
The grey sky covered their surroundings.

"Why did you take me here?", I asked, holding in my tears.

"I need to tell you something", he held both of my hands into his hands.

"W-what is it?", I sniffle.

"I'm not always going to be here to protect you. Bad things are going to happen that I can't stop. I want you to take this", he hands me a remote.

"What's this for?", I ask.

"If I am under no control of myself and I'm threatening you, press that button", he points to a small silver button.
A plastic case surrounding the button is detachable but is there to protect the button.

"What does that button do?", I ask.

"That button will shut me off. Permanently", he wore a serious face.

"Okay", I nodded. There was so much I wanted to ask, so much I wanted to say. I just couldn't get it out of my mouth; tears swelled up in my eyes.

Mark looked into my eyes and wrapped his arms around me. We stood there hugging for a long time. I never wanted to stop hugging him after that.