1. Not All Is How It Seems

I opened my eyes to see the group of people around me.

"Shannon? Are you okay?" Carlisle (by my head to my left) asked.

"I don't feel any different..." I murmured.

"You're not a full vampire, Shannon. It's okay." Uncle Edward was crouched beside Carlisle.

"I'm not?"

"No kiddo. You're still quarter human." Jasper was opposite Carlisle, looking down at me with an anxious expression.

"Oh Dad!" I sobbed. I sat up and threw my arms around him. He hugged me back tightly.

"I'm so sorry Shannon..." He whispered in my ear. We didn't move for some time. Jasper just rocked me slightly, comforting. The others waited, patiently.

"Shannon!" Someone cried out. I pulled away from Jasper and stood up. Before I could turn to face Daniel, Tomy pounced on me.

"Shannon..." He hugged me tightly. I hugged him back then let go when I saw Lavender behind him.

"Lavender?" Lavender hugged me too.

"Your family know everything now." She told me. I pulled away from her with a sigh.

It was then that I saw Daniel. He was kneeling on the floor. Uncle Emmett and Garrett had one of his arms each. Kate was standing beside him, hand on his throat. I didn't know what she was doing to him but he was spasming.

"It's Kate. Her talent is to shock people." Uncle Edward explained.

"Stop it!" I begged, kneeling in front of Daniel.

"Kate." Jasper warned. Kate looked at him then moved her hand.

I threw my arms around him. He leaned his face against mine, gasping slightly.

"Are you okay?" I asked, softly.

"Yes. Are you?"

"I think so." I pulled away and stood up. He looked up at me.

"Shannon, I'm sorry. I had to." I touched the scars on my throat.

"Why did you have to?"

"It was the only way. I'm sorry."

"Let him go." I ordered, turning away. Uncle Emmett and Garrett moved away.

"Okay, now here is where I step in." Jasper said. Daniel raised an eyebrow at him.

"Dad..." I murmured.

"No. I'm being serious here," Jasper looked at Daniel. "My daughter is fourteen. How old are you?"

"Seventeen. Physically anyway." Danny replied.

"Exactly. So you can wait until SHE'S ready."

"I AM ready." I told him. Jasper cupped my face in his hands.

"No. You're not. You told Tomy everything. And he told me. And your Uncle told me you weren't ready to be bitten."

"I love him." I muttered.

"Honey, you're fourteen. You barely know what love is." I avoided the butterscotch eyes of my father.

"Sweetie, listen to your father. He's right." Esme said, softly.

"Now listen. I'm a reasonable man and I can plainly see that he is a good person. I trust he will look after you and protect you. But you're still so young..." Jasper closed his eyes, pained.

"Can he at least stay with us?" I pleaded.

"I don't suppose we have another choice..." Jasper moved away and walked over to Alice.

I smiled at Daniel. He smiled back.